Joss Whedon Is a Genius

23 May 2014

download
In Your Eyes (2014)
Rating:


Synopsis (from IMDB):
In the frozen East Coast winter, Rebecca is withering away in a life of cocktail parties and lonely nights as the sheltered, soft-spoken wife of a successful doctor. Across the country in sun-drenched, arid New Mexico, charismatic ex-con Dylan is struggling to find his footing and a fresh start. When these polar opposites realize they share an inexplicable connection, a unique metaphysical romance begins.


I watched In Your Eyes This weekend. I have been intending to watch it ever since I heard that it was simultaneously being aired at the Tribeca Film Festival and being released online and available for rental. This is a very Veronica Mars style approach to a film release, and I like it. So, I had been holding out about renting, not because I didn’t want to see it, but more because I was a bit wary about using my card on the Vimeo website. No offense to Vimeo, but how can I be sure that they have a completely secure website? However, this weekend, I chose to give in to my desire to see this film, because I properly wanted to see it.

Now, this is my very immediate reaction to the film. I thought it was freaking amazing! There are barely words to describe how much I loved it. As soon as it ended my brother walked up the stairs, I had not seen him all day, so we were having the usual how’s your day been chat and I immediately stated I had been watching more of Joss Whedon’s genius at work and flailed about the film and he was amazed about how excited I was about this film. I was bouncing around, literally flailing about the film and describing how brilliant it was. Now, this was surprising to him because I rarely get so excited about anything, ever. SO my absolute glee about this film was surprising and excellent sign of the films quality. Although, I may be slightly biased as Joss Whedon is a freaking genius who I worship a little bit. I mean, he is the creator of both Buffy and Firefly, and he directed The Avengers. How could you not love everything this man has ever done, ever.

When you rent this film you pay $5 for 72 hours of streaming time, it was extremely difficult to resist the urge to go ahead and just watch this film on repeat all weekend. It is such a beautiful film. It was so well done. The settings, the direction, the casting, and the music choices. They were all superb. I went on a crazy hunt for the music of this film as soon as it ended. I am a sucker for music in films, it helps set a mood, and I always want to own it instantly, it’s the same for music in TV shows, I need songs that are in the emotional scenes so every time I listen to it I will remember whatever I was watching.

Back to the film. It was just superb. It is a completely unique story. It is the typical boy meets girl romance in so many ways, so it could be viewed as a cliché. There’s the boy from the wrong side of the tracks (or the law in this case) a bad boy with a heart of gold. Then there is the privileged girl who is living the ‘perfect life’ with her doctor husband, her big house, and her privileged life. It’s a star-crossed lovers style romance, with a twist. They live at different ends of the country and happen to be connected in some strange way where they each possess the ability to see through the other’s eyes, quite literally. It was quirky, it was heart-warming and it was funny. Although things you want to see in a film which is centred around two people falling in love. It was a bit dramatic at times. It was a bit predictable in places. It was all so well done, though, that you didn’t care that it recycled over used plot points, because it was not noticeable. It refreshed so many old tropes and ideas and made it unique within the space of this film.

I won’t spoil anything for anyone. I want everyone to watch this film. I want everyone to enjoy it as much as I have. It was the highlight of my weekend. The perfect way to unwind after a hot sticky day sat in an office doing boring and repetitive work. It broke the tedium and helped me relax on a Friday evening. I could not have asked for a more perfect film to unwind to. It deserves my extremely high rating, not just because it is a Whedon creation, but because it is such a wonderful creation in itself. Please watch it.

If that hasn’t interested you enough then please see the video below and see if that interests you.
Has anyone else seen this film, yet? Did you like it too? Does anyone have any suggestions which are similar to this film? You should all know I am a sucker for a good indie romance drama type film. Until next time then.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.