Sunday Summary // 15.05.2016

15 May 2016

Sunday Summary
What a week. I want to say it’s been a good week, and in a lot of ways it has, but my God it’s been ages since I’ve been so pissed off.

Everybody brace theirself, there is a work-related rant to follow.

I got told off for talking on Thursday. Isn’t that a phrase that gives you flashbacks to school? It was a group of three of us who got told to be quiet because people had complained they couldn’t concentrate due to the noise. It is utter bullshit because we have one team in our office who take inbound calls from customers all day, every day, so the excuse that we were being noisy is illogical as we were talking at a normal level. If they can’t concentrate when people are speaking I have no clue how they get their work done every day.

I don’t mind getting told to quiet down a bit at work, especially if I am being a bit loud. I know my voice can carry, but if I’m bothering someone I much prefer them to say it to me and I’ll shut up. Sometimes you have a headache at work, sometimes you’re just hypersensitive to noise, whatever. But when you go to the finance manager to complain so that the complaint can be passed along to two other people before you get told you’re being noisy then I’m going to be pissed off.

I was so pissed off about getting told to shut up I ranted to everyone I saw Thursday evening and then decided to not talk all of Friday and start listening to my iPod instead. I will be doing this every day until my one-to-one in a couple of week (just in case you don’t know, a one-to-one is a meeting with your direct supervisor where you can discuss how you’re doing with work, give targets and basically raise any issues in private) because I want to know what’s going on and figure out if me having friendly conversations with the people I work with to keep the day bearable is going to be an issue. If I find out it is going to be an issue I see a new job on the horizon, but I don’t want to act rashly until then.

It’s so annoying that it’s continually a small group of people ruining work for me. I don’t need to like everyone, and everyone doesn’t need to like me. But why do people have to go out of their way to bring others down for no reason? I don’t want to leave because I love the people I work with, I enjoy my job, and I like how close it is to home, but sometimes you get given no other option. I’ll keep you posted.

On the bright side, all of you eagerly waiting to hear news about my office move, rumour has it they’ve found a much more local location and the offer has gone through. It’s still a longer journey for me, but it’s now actually feasible. Any office move won’t happen until the end of the year so now we’re all waiting to hear an official announcement about it to see if the rumour is true.

Moving on to bookish related thing, can we also take a moment to celebrate the fact I visited a library Saturday! Sadly, a couple of books which I wanted were off the shelves by the time I got to the library but I still got myself a few books and I will be returning in a couple of weeks for more. I don’t know why I don’t utilise my local library more. Sure, it has more mainstream stuff and for some reason it’s terrible about having completed series (I swear, the number of times I’ve wanted to try and new series and they’ve not got the first book is crazy) but the place is still good for saving me money.

What I’ve Been Reading

243797279780373212057_BB.indd2724562525158604325804717
As you can see, I’ve had an excellent reading week. I began reading a book a day until I got to Thursday and my terrible, no-good, bad day at work. I picked myself up and brushed myself off and got back into reading again Friday, though. I think the worst book of the week has been Luckiest Girl Alive, it was interesting and kept me reading until 2am, but it didn't have a massive impact. I don’t know. My best book is hard to pick, it’s probably a tie between The Problem With Forever and The Bollywood Bride.

New To Me

9780373212057_BB.indd28944349257340062580471728931008
I’ve not been spending lots of money, in fact, I’ve not bought a single book this week. That may surprise many to hear, but it’s true. Right after posting about my My books I was looking forward to I received a copy of The Problem With Forever on Netgalley, and the next day I got How Not To Fall, a book I’ve been exited for ever since I discovered it was by the same author of the book Come As You Are (a book raved about on Smart Bitches so I seriously want to give it a read). My other three books were the books I got from the library, City of The Lost is all Danya’s fault after her review this week. The Bourbon Kings is because I’ve been intrigued ever since I heard about that book and so figured I’d give it a chance. And then Luckiest Girl Alive is a book I’ve been tempted to read for a while but just wasn’t quite willing to spend the money on, thank God for my local library, right?

So how have your weeks been? If anyone can beat the absurdity of my working week I will be impressed. And please tell me the most surprising book you’ve ever found in your local library.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.