The Intimidating TBR Pile Tag

13 May 2016

I am not normally one for doing tags I’ve not actually been tagged in, but then I saw this tag over at Sarah’s Chapter and instantly knew it was created for me. I think anyone who sees my Sunday Summary posts has seen I have a book buying problem. I currently have a minimum of 200 unread books lurking on my shelves and on my Kindle. I have a major problem and my TBR pile does terrify me in many ways, but I also love it a little bit because it keeps me with plenty of options of what to read next. As a weird mood reader, I have a lot of trouble picking my next book to read.
2016-04-30 11.47.07

01. What book have you been unable to finish?


As I’ve said, I’m a mood reader. I can pick up and put down a book multiple times before I finally get around to reading it. It’s not that it’s the books, necessarily, but more that my mood going into  reading these books isn’t right and so I end up putting them down again. I think the book I have done this with most is Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children. I have tried to read it so many times but have never finished it. I want to remedy that this year as the film is coming out so I need to sort out my priorities.

What book have you yet to read because...


02. ...you just haven't had the time?


I don’t think there is any one book I haven’t read yet because I haven’t had the time, it is every book I have left unread. The time thing is especially true of my physical books. I am a book monogamist who doesn’t like to take her physical books outside of the house so my physical books tend to be weekend books and I just don’t have enough time to dedicate to reading them. I should probably start taking them out with me and just suck up my books getting a bit battered be I am continually worried that I will finish one on my commute to work and end up having to wait until I get home to have something new to read.

03. ...it's a sequel?


There are so many books I haven’t read because they’re sequels. I think the book I’m nervous to read which is a sequel is The Rosie Effect because I loved everything about The Rosie Project and what if that book doesn’t live up to the original.

04. ...it's brand new?


I’ve recently bought Eligible because I am somehow committed to The Austen Project, and also because this Pride & Prejudice retelling has received some fantastic reviews. I’m nervous about it because I love Pride and Prejudice, what about if I don’t like this book? I need to overcome it, but it may take another couple of weeks.

05. ...you read a book by the same author and didn't enjoy it?


Beautiful Sacrifice. I am totally putting off reading it because I am nervous that I won’t like it. I wasn’t a big fan of Beautiful Disaster, I’ve tried reading it twice now, but I know there are other bloggers who I like whose tastes are similar to mine so I keep trying and it just isn’t happening. I will read that book as I got it in a Bookworm Box and it’s signed and I want to like it, but I’ll let you know how it goes.

The only other book I could name on this would be Six of Crows, but as I haven’t invested in a copy yet that is still a to buy book problem, and that isn’t what this tag is about.

06. ...you're just not in the mood for it?


Can I say every book ever? No? Okay, well I’ll narrow it down to those books I have put off reading because I feel like I’m never in the mood for reading them.

I have owned Cloud Atlas for so long I can barely remember buying it. I saw the trailer for the film and wanted to read the book but every time I’ve picked it up and tried reading I’ve gotten confused. It’s an intimidating book but I really want to read it all the way through. Maybe I should stop fooling myself into thinking I am some kind of intellectual reader.

07. ...it's humongous?


This isn’t one single book, but I haven’t finished the Song of Fire and Ice series because the sheer number of books and the length of each of them really intimidates me. I got through the first two and a half books (the third was split into two in the UK, anyone else have that?) and I needed a break from the books and then it’s about 5 series later in the TV series and I’ve still not picked them back up.

08. ...because it was a cover buy that turned out to have poor reviews?


I am getting better about not being too shallow about my books. I tend to at least investigate what they’re about as well so couldn’t claim there is any book which is exclusively a cover buy. I suppose the most obvious one is Starry Night. It has the most stunning cover I’ve ever seen and I got a hardcover for under £4 so I instantly bought it. Looking at Goodreads it has quite a low star rating all things considered. It kind of puts me off reading

09. What is the most intimidating book in your TBR pile?


Intimidating in what way? There are plenty of books I’m nervous to read due to the hype in my head. There are others I’m nervous to read because they have been on my shelf sooo long I can barely remember buying them and am now nervous I will regret it. I think my most intimidating read is probably The Book Thief because I kept hearing such good things about this book so I bought a copy… but I just can never seem to get into it.

10. Who do you tag?

Anyone who is interested?

Have you got books which you’re intimidated by in your TBR pile? So you allow yourself to get intimidated by your books or do you just dive in head first?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.