Sunday Summary 09/01/2022

09 January 2022


It’s going to take me a while to get used to writing 2022 but Happy New Year! It’s weird to be back blogging but I feel really excited about it. I think I’ve missed having something to do in my spare time other than watching TV. In fact, I’ve had a week of only having the TV on for background noise. Or having it on a lot more for background noise because there are still a few shows I like to watch weekly (I’m looking at you First Dates). I think I’ve enjoyed the first week of 2022. It’s not been too awful (although a few friends have been struck down with covid this week) and I’ve been reading a lot which has been a nice change from the slumps I’ve suffered. It may not last but I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

 

I can’t say I’ve done much other than work this week. As with many other countries, the UK is in the middle of a wave of covid with the Omicron variant, so it’s been a low key week of seeing my mom, working, and just chilling reading. I know I’ve told you all about the struggles with my house, I’ve still not moved for various reasons and so I’ve been avoiding my house in the evenings. I know you’ll all be dying to know why I haven’t moved. There was a problem with my buyer’s finances, so the start of the chain collapsed (yay for the weird quirks of the English property system) and the house had to go back on the market. I had a week of viewings at the start of December which was fun for me. I managed to find another buyer, but it delayed everything considering I was ready to exchange. Frustrating all around so now I have daily phone calls to my solicitor to try and ensure no further delays. I’ll let you know when I move but until then I’m worried about jinxing it again. I’ve just had no luck when it comes to this house and don’t want to tempt any further bad luck.

 

I’m trying to think what else to update you on but it really has been a quiet week. I just haven’t done anything other than work. Some friends have been messaging to make plans for a couple of hen dos I’ve been invited to as well, but those plans are a bit up in the air so I don’t want to say too much until things are certain.

 

What I’ve Been Reading

 


I finished 5 books this week, one had been started before the start of the year but I didn’t properly start reading it until New Years Day. I just wasn’t invested in it at all. It also means I’ve finished two series this year and we’ve only just finished the first week! I don’t think my success with reading and finishing series will hold out much longer as I have been very uncertain on what to read every time I finish a book. I worry I slump will hit. But I’ve finally finished the All Souls trilogy after 7 years and I feel like I’ve had the Psy Changeling series on my shelf for years. I know my reread of the first few books started way back in 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic so it’s taken me this long to finally finish the main series. I think I’ll wait a little while before starting the next one since I only own the first book for that so far. Be a bit of an investment to continue it right now. I think Shield of Winter was my least favourite of my reads this week and I’m not sure on my favourite. I think I rated The Book of Life the highest but I actually think Shards of Hope was my favourite.

 

New To Me


 Whilst I’m excited about how many books I read I did overindulge in new purchases this week too. It’s only 4 books but still, it's more than I might like. I’d been dithering over buying These Hollow Vows and then saw someone post a positive review and couldn’t resist purchasing when it was discounted. Fates Blades and The Hidden Moon have been on my TBR a little while so also purchased when they were on offer. And, weirdly, I’d just added Heart & Seoul to my TBR when I got an alert the price had dropped and I figured that was a sign I was meant to get it. I did read a sample of it first, though so hopefully it’s not a totally impulsive buy.

 

What have you done with the first week of 2022? Any good books or shows you’ve been enjoying?

Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.