Reading Goals & Challenges 2024

07 January 2024

My 2024 reading goals and challenges are pretty simple. I recognise I don't always do the best at difficult challenges or ones with specific reading prompts like read a specific genre or translated works, but ones with slightly less specific prompts I can use to shop my shelves work much better as they often inspire me to read what I own and get me out of my reading funks.

Goals

Read 100 books - I had been keeping my reading number pretty low for the past few years to take the pressure off but I really enjoy trying to stretch myself to read more because I am terrible at falling into a reading funk and reading nothing for weeks. I want to try and read more, I won't force myself to finish books I don't like but I will count DNFs if I hit 20% in a book and hate it. I usually read 100 books so this shouldn't be too much of a stretch if I keep out of any major reading slumps.

Reduce my TBR - this may be vague, I should really pick a specific number but after compiling all of my unread books and discovering I had 227 books to read proposing I reduce the TBR down to 50 or something seems incredibly daunting. I’ll be happy if, by the end of the year, my TBR is at under 100 including any new purchases. I’m not sure if that is achievable though. My book buying has gone down so it could happen but only time will tell.

Return to blogging - this one is a challenge I'm a little nervous about. I've tried to return to blogging a few times now and I'm nervous I have just outgrown it. I know that it should really adapt to me. I think I need to return and figure out exactly what I want from my blog because currently I don't know what is. Maybe I'll figure it out maybe I won't. I just want to give myself another chance with blogging and see where it takes me.

Review every book I finish -
I tried to do this but often fail so I think it's time I try. A paragraph of my thoughts is all I want, it doesn't need to be an essay, but I know there are plenty of books I've read in the past and didn't review and I haven#t the foggiest what they're about anymore.

Reading challenges

I have 3 reading challenges I am joining for 2024 as well as a bonus one just for January.

Taylor Swift Reading Challenge

This one I'm excited about, I am a shameless Swiftie so having reading prompts from her songs will be fun but with just 25 prompts it should also be achievable me reading something for all of them by the end of the year

Monthly Key Word Challenge

This challenge is hosted by Kim & Tanya on their new blog Chapter Adventure. I've tried this one for the past couple of years and each year I fall into a slump at some pojnt and fall behind. Will 2024 be the year I break this cycle? Maybe, but it always prompts me to read something from my shelves which is why I'm continuing to try it. I like it's broad enough that I'm not limited to very specific books but not so broad I'm left guessing how to interpret a prompt.

Reading Randomiser

I am so psyched for this one as this is something I have actually being doing with my Kindle already in that I use a random number generator to help pick my reads. The only difference here is it's more specific with different prompts for each month and a bonus each month too. Hopefully it mixes up my reading a little, I just need to sort a shelf with all my owned books to get this one to work.

Bonus: January Pages Challenge

I'm also participating in Storygraph’s pages challenge because I think it would good to try and get myself to read at least a page a day, or a chapter of audiobook. I often use the excuse I'm exhausted from work for not reading but I also know I could listen to a chapter of audiobook a day and easily manage to get more reading in but I don't. I think a challenge like this will help motivate me to read more. Hopefully, this way I start as I mean to go on for the year and fly through my 100 books and clear my shelves. This is more to force me into a routine so we’ll see how it goes.

What are your goals and challenges for 2024? Are you even doing any or are you just going with the flow when it comes to reading?

Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.