One Day To Fall // Where I Fell In Love Over One Book

19 August 2019


One Day To Fall (One Day to Forever #1) – Therese Beharrie
Published: 12th August 2019
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Contemporary Romance
My Rating:
Of all the taxis in all of Cape Town, Sophia Roux had to stumble into his.


She should be at her “perfect” sister’s bedside, awaiting the arrival of the newest member of her family. But the thought of spending hours at the hospital with her suffocating relatives has Sophia hailing the first taxi she sees. Only to realise too late that the man at the wheel of her getaway car is the most unpleasant one she’s ever had the misfortune to meet.

Parker Jones, the handsome yet surly driver in question, is used to dealing with baggage of the family variety. And it just so happens he’s in need of temporary escape from his own. Witty banter with a beautiful—if exasperating—woman while chauffeuring her around the city on a gorgeous spring day makes for an ideal break from reality.

But a lot can happen in twenty-four hours: babies can be born, family can reconnect. And maybe the most unlikely pair can fall in love.
With another fantastic new release from Therese Beharrie I have found another author to add to my favourites list. She deserved the place after this book had me feeling so many emotions, and it was a story which took place over the space of a day. It was unexpected but so wonderful to read. Yes, there were emotional points and it dealt with grief, acceptance of oneself, and some family drama. But it still had me smiling because who doesn't love two grumps falling in love over one day?

Sophia was a grumpy, sarcastic, blunt woman who had been dragged to the hospital as her eldest sister had gone into labour. She was not happy about it, especially there was a family resentment going on and a bunch of family issues which you know were dealt with within the book. I was loving Sophia and it only got better when she bumped into another grump when she was returning from a quest to get snacks for her mom and youngest sister. She was annoyed about the whole thing and returned to her family only to do a runner. You know she bumped into the grumpy guy again.  

The grumpy guy? Well, that was Parker... except he was nowhere near as much of a grump as Sophia was. He was a soft marshmallow totally in touch with his emotions and who was annoyed some rude woman got the upper hand in a conversation. So when he was leaving the hospital after being handed some bad news about his mother’s health (and he was avoiding his dad) who should happen to climb into his car but Sophia (I will say she wasn’t randomly getting into cars with strangers,, he worked for a car company. But funny side story, my nan once got into a car with a stranger thinking it was someone she knew and they drove her all the way home from the shops. She had very poor eyesight but how nice that random stranger did that for her!). Anyway, in the book Parker was intending to drive Sophia wherever she wanted and then going home to crash… but instead they end up spending the whole day together and throughout the day the small spark that appeared when they were arguing in the hospital ignites and they ended up going on an adventure around Cape Town while they each avoided their family issues.

Anyway, wonderful antics ensue from that meet-cute and I was there for all of them. Sophia was just so good. I didn't realise I wanted some grumpy heroines in my life until I was reading this. Women are not all sunshine and rainbows, why do men always get the corner of the grumpy market? She was a wonderful grump, she was sarcastic and she wasn’t there for people giving her shit for her blunt sarcastic tone either. And at no point in this romance was Parker looking for her to change who she was. She wasn’t expected to suddenly become sunshine and rainbows but instead, she was expected to look at her feelings and some of the resentment and anger which had built within her family

I admit, romances taking place over one day always have me wary. How can the couple possibly develop enough of a connection for us as readers to believe they will make it through? I don't know how Therese Beharrie did it but she pulled this romance off flawlessly. It never felt rushed and considering both of these characters were convinced they weren't ready for any relationship I was there convinced they were perfect for each other even when they weren't so certain of it. Their connection just was there and it worked and they helped one another reach some life realisations and they weren't always happy about it.

I was a little late to reading this one, I had an arc for a while but I was so glad I read it when I did. I got to fly through it in a single day and I think that helped me fall head over heels right along with these characters. I was invested in their lives and now I'm eager to go back and read the first in this series because how did I miss that one?!

Anyone else found Therese Beharrie on their favourites list? And if you’ve not read anything from her yet, why not?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.