Why don't I read what I buy?

19 April 2022

 

This is a post I've been planning to write for a while, ever since I saw a tweet from Nick a few weeks ago which felt like it was targeted when she was actually doing her usual thing of calling out readers on their terrible habits :

On my spreadsheet I can see that I have 52 books on there. This includes my preorders, borrowed books, and any ARCs I've received as well as the books I've purchased. If I remove out the ARCs, borrowed books and preorders (since I don't have them yet can't judge myself for not reading them) and that leaves me with 38 books. I can actually remove out a few more books from those purchases, though, some I actually have bought a second copy of as I wanted a physical copy too or I've bought my own copy after previously reading an ARC or borrowing from the library. If I remove those books out That brings me down to 31. That's not so bad right? Surely I've read about a third of these books because I'm a new reformed person who reads samples before buying and will hold off on impulse purchases to really consider if it's a book I want to read or just one I've seen everyone talking about.

 

How many have I actually read?

 

4

 

I've bought 31 new to me books in the first few months of the year and I have read just 4 of them! That's embarrassing. I know you guys won't judge me because we're all book lovers and I know there'll be others who may even be in the same boat as me in not reading what they buy. But this is how I keep ending up with so many unread books! God, that tweet really was a personal attack on me and I need to do everything in my power to prove it wrong. It's like my own personal mission now. Screw my original plan of buying less books than I read and reading more books that I already own. I still want to do those things, but it's time to also focusing on reading more of what I buy in 2022. I think that's half the reason I've only bought one book in April so far, despite there being a few decent books on offer right now. I know that I need to focus on reading not shopping. But we all know when the pressure is on to read something I will want to anything but read that book. The issues of being a mood reader and an awkward bitch I suppose.

 

I've got 27 books (so far) to focus on reading the next couple of months, along with all of the other books I own as well. I do like to make things interesting. Including April (where I've read just 5 books) I'm averaging 15.25 books a month so it's not totally unfeasible to get these read in a couple of months at least. But I still want to carry on focusing on my reading challenges and clearing my shelves so we'll see what happens. I think if I get ambitious next year I'll make plans on only buying a new book when I've read so many but that is very ambitious and not something I'll be doing this year.

 

So what books do I need to focus on reading? I'll show them for you below:

These Hollow Vows - Lexi RyanThe hidden moon - Jeannie LinFated Blades - Ilona AndrewsHeart & Seoul - Jen FrederickSomething Fabulous - Alexis Hall

The Most Beautiful Girl in Cuba - Chanel CleetonBombshell - Sarah MacLeanLove At First - Kate ClaybornHalf a Soul - Olivia AtwaterThe Intimacy Experiment - Rosie DananArchangel's Sun - Nalini SinghQuiet In her Bones - Nalini SinghDelilah Green Doesn't Care - Ashley Herring BlakeThe Spanish Love Deception - Elena ArmasThe Forbidden Heir - MJ ScottThe Unbound Queen - MJ ScottLast Night - Mhairi McFarlaneAccidentally Engaged - Farah HeronA Touch of Darkness - Scarlett St ClairPayback's a Witch - Lana HarperThe Ex Hex - Erin SterlingGood Girl, Bad Blood - Holly JacksonAs Good As Dead - Holly JacksonOnly When It's Us - Chloe LieseRosaline Palmer Takes the Cake - Alexis HallThe Tyrant Alpha's Rejected Mate - Cate C WellsWinterkeep - Kristin Cashore

 

Of these, which am I most excited to read and have been putting off for unknown reasons? Probably The Intimacy Experiment, Something Fabulous, The Ex Hex and maybe Rosaline Palmer?

 

Wish me luck! How many books have you bought this year and have you read them? I want to know if you, like me, buy things with some vague intention of reading it one day or if you're strict with yourself?

Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.