A Princess in Theory // The Hype Was Right

13 March 2018

A Princess in Theory
A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals #1) – Alyssa Cole
Published: 27th February 2018
Source: Purchased
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
My Rating:
From acclaimed author Alyssa Cole comes the tale of a city Cinderella and her Prince Charming in disguise . . .


Between grad school and multiple jobs, Naledi Smith doesn’t have time for fairy tales…or patience for the constant e-mails claiming she’s betrothed to an African prince. Sure. Right. Delete! As a former foster kid, she’s learned that the only things she can depend on are herself and the scientific method, and a silly e-mail won’t convince her otherwise.

Prince Thabiso is the sole heir to the throne of Thesolo, shouldering the hopes of his parents and his people. At the top of their list? His marriage. Ever dutiful, he tracks down his missing betrothed. When Naledi mistakes the prince for a pauper, Thabiso can’t resist the chance to experience life—and love—without the burden of his crown.

The chemistry between them is instant and irresistible, and flirty friendship quickly evolves into passionate nights. But when the truth is revealed, can a princess in theory become a princess ever after?
A Princess in Theory has been on my TBR ever since I saw the book cover. An inclusive romance which is also a royal romance and there's a STEM girl in it as well? Like, this book ticked all the boxes and the summary made me laugh so I knew I needed to read it. Also, Alyssa Cole wrote it and everyone seems to love her so I knew I wanted to read this. I'm so glad I put a pre-order in for it.

First off, royal romances aren't really my jam. I mean, I don't get the appeal of royals and their love lives. Maybe it's because I'm British and the royal family isn't exciting and cool to me. Queenie is just a face on a coin and her kids and grandkids lives are pretty boring (why should I be so interested in their lives, they got the luck of the draw with what family they were born into and they aren't exactly the most interesting people). So, royal romances are always a bit cringe to me. An African prince scam sounds like the perfect set up for a romance. Especially when the prince isn't a scam and Naledi was actually engaged to him in a weird religious ceremony as a toddler... even if she can't remember it.

I have to say, Thabiso's ill-conceived plan of lying to Naledi full on stressed me out. I hate lying in books because I know the fallout from the lie will be brutal. I wasn't wrong. He caused doubts to arise in Naledi, she cared for him but she is a foster child who never got an adoptive family and has major trust issues. I felt for her her velcro theory on relationships. She seriously needed someone to want her so I adored seeing her and Thabiso grow closer. They were definitely meant to be together.

I didn't love Naledi's bestie but I was pretty sure that there was hope for her. She has potential to grow but in this one she was definitely selfish and pulled a lot of dick moves. Fingers crossed she becomes a better person next time (also, have you seen the summary for the next book, people, these books are my catnip).

This was a brilliant read and I am so glad the hype forced this onto my radar. Now I just can't wait for the next one.

Have you read this or anything else by Alyssa Cole? What did you think? What was the last book you enjoyed from a category you don’t usually enjoy?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.