Strange the Dreamer // An Enchanting Read and The Vaguest Review For It

12 June 2018

29748925
Published: 28th March 2017

Source: Purchased

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

My Rating:
The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around—and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he’s been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance or lose his dream forever.

What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo’s dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? And if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

Welcome to Weep.
I decided to begin the week with a none romance related review. I’ve been sat on this one for a couple of weeks so I needed to post it. I want you guys to know how much I loved this book and I honestly wasn’t sure I would.

I have frequently claimed Laini Taylor as a favourite author of mine so when I heard she had a new book coming out I was excited to read. When the release was pushed back and it was revealed to be a duology my excitement didn't wain at all, I still knew I would preorder as soon as it came available. I was there preordering so I could have those blue sprayed edges and pretty signed page within it. I didn't care about cost because I needed that book on my shelves and in my hands. When it finally arrived I was excited… but it was a weekday and I didn't fancy carting around a heavy hardcover on my commute so I waited to read. Then I saw the reviews slowly coming out for it and avoided spoilers at all costs, but then I saw a small snippet of a thought from a reader whose opinions I trust… and it wasn't wholly positive like I had expected and then I became wary. When I get wary I get hesitant to read, thinking up excuses until a gorgeous book gets left to gather dust on my shelf for no other reason than someone didn’t say wholly positive things about a book so I question if I’ll be the same. Hype is a dangerous beast and many a book has fallen from my TBR because of it.  Sadly, this book almost fell victim to such things.

It took me over a year to finally get to reading this book and it was only with the announcement about the next book having sprayed edges on the first print run which motivated me to finally pick this book up off of the shelf. I chose a sunny Sunday to begin reading and it took me over a week to finish (which in my bookish world is an extremely long time). I wasn't immediately hooked from the first page, but Lazlo Strange charmed me with his story and his dreams. He was not the typical hero, he was quiet and forgotten about and if he hadn't have been as brave as he was he would have spent his whole life stuck in the shadows of a library underappreciated and not knowing all of his potential. Instead, he ran off and risked everything for even the smallest chance of pursuing his dream and visiting a place he had only dreamt about. He charmed me slowly and then I was hooked. I wanted to learn the mystery of Weep and I wanted to see what he would discover. I knew he was going to have a major role to play (why else would he be an MC) but I don’t think I expected how big a role he would play, I don’t think he realised it either and that’s what made him charming. He wasn’t full of himself and frequently doubted himself and his abilities and what role he could possibly play but he was just excited to be involved in an adventure he has always dreamt about.

I don't want to reveal too much of the book in this review, I think I enjoyed not knowing what to expect when I picked this up. Sure, it meant I was uncertain and nervous, but it also meant I was slowly swept away by the story. I may not have rushed through it and devoured it in hours, but I enjoyed slowly getting lost within the pages and enjoying the magical and intense world within its pages and it's meant I've had no choice but to preorder the next book. I wasn't certain I was excited about this being a duology, but I think it's needed. There will be a very clear divide between this story and the next I think. There is a clear before and after and I can't wait to see what the after brings. I want only good things to happen but I can see a struggle to come and I can't wait to read it (and this time I might actually read upon release). This does mean this is probably the vaguest review ever but I don’t even care, I adored this book and all you need to know is that Lazlo is a precious cinnamon roll to good for this world. What else is there to know?

Have you read Strange the Dreamer? What did you think and are you excited for the next release?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.