Sunday Summary 06/02/2022

06 February 2022

I’m back! Sorry for the radio silence. I was going to draft up a post or two and be semi present during the build up and follow up to my move but I decided I didn't have the time to dedicate to blogging to do that. It sucked because I'd got into a good routine with blogging (I think) which I now need to create again. To be fair, I'm glad I didn't as the build up to the home move was stressful and I just wouldn't have been with it for blogging. I do have so many blog posts to catch up on from you all now though! I should have taken an hour to blog hop, I knew I would regret the week or 2 off. I did have to spend a long time packing, I own far too much stuff which is a disgrace considering how I only seemed to own an abundance of books that required moving when I bought the first house. There were so many phone calls to solicitors so I really didn't have the time to do much else other than eat, sleep, work (and some reading and TV).

 

I moved on Wednesday and I wouldn’t say it was all smooth sailing on the day. There were solicitor headaches, money headaches, and a lot of panicking by me. Luckily, I had my mom there in the morning helping with the last few bits to go in boxes and generally she stayed calm (whilst complaining things weren't moving because she was bored). The removals company I hired were amazing and I definitely need to get a review up online for them (that is working as a reminder for myself). They arrived on time, loaded the vans and even unassembled and reassembled my wardrobe for me at no extra charge. And the wardrobe is now properly square, which it definitely wasn't before. They were so lovely and I'm glad at least they knew what was going on. Rather annoyingly, I didn't get the keys to my new house until after 2 pm. I'm glad I used the firm I did as they sort of broke into the garden? I say broke in, the gate and doors were unlocked so it's a rather easy break in and all the keys were left in the house. When I had the call from the estate agent, they actually told me the keys were there and gave me the code for the key safe, which was a relief because I didn't fancy the trip to collect them. There were stresses with the solicitor as well, they were chasing me for money at the last minute which I'd originally been told wasn't due. I paid it over and I've sorted it all out now but god moving is the worst and I was probably a bit of an asshole to people sorting it. I hope they realise it was because I was stressed and not directed at them.

 

I was stressing in the run up to my moving day. I'd not viewed this house in 6 months and I worried I'd imagined it bigger than it was or I'd have similar issues as at my old house. It was a relief to move in and see I'd have so much more space and that it was worth the move. I have plenty to do, I'm living in a sea of boxes and I've got loads of redecorating to do but it looks good. I like the house and my little conservatory is a lovely little office space for me. I've not met my neighbours yet (is it the done thing I'm meant to knock on their door? It feels a little weird to do that) but there's plenty of time for all of that.

 

I did move in and have boiler issues, though. First I couldn't seem to get the heating to turn on (I just hadn't turned the thermostat up... I know... don't judge me) and then the next day after i had it working, I discovered a puddle of water in the kitchen and it had a leak. I called up a repairman my mom had found for their boiler last year and he came out Saturday. When he arrived Saturday I couldn't see any leak! He took a look and it going to replace a couple of parts and screwed on a cap that was loose so it's all good to go but there's always something isn't there?

 

I may only blog once a week for the next few weeks while I come up with plans for the house and unpack, we'll see. My problem is I need to redecorate every room so I'm unpacking only to pack up again when I decided on colours, seems a little counterintuitive but that's how it goes. I am excited I'll finally be getting the last of my shelves from my mom's house moved in here. I might actually have enough room for all of my books for once! I am going to be having a clear out, though. I might have to choose to have an unread books shelf and finally tackle my reading. I haven't decided yet.

 

What I've Been Reading

Pat's Pantry - Rhoda BaxterSnowed In - Rhoda BaxterLet it Shine - Alyssa ColeDeadly Silence - Rebecca ZanettiCraving Flight - Tamsen ParkerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato peel Pie SocietyTithe - Holly BlackNeverwhere - Neil Gaiman

I can say my reading has carried on strong right up until moving day. I admit, I've been reading mainly short reads but I've still enjoyed them all until Tithe. Tithe was very meh and I decided to abandon the rest of that series even though I owned those other books. I just wasn't excited to read it and it felt like a chore. I then started Neverwhere thinking that would sweep me up as I've been meaning to read it forever and I couldn't get invested. I've started listening to the audio drama audiobook version of it. I know it's probably missed parts but it's honestly way easier for me to get invested in a story when there is a full cast and I do like the voice cast in it.

 

New To Me

Something Fabulous - Alexis HallThe Most Beautiful Girl in Cuba - Chanel CleetonBombshell - Sarah MacLean

You would not believe how strong I had to be not to buy every book I was vaguely interested in which was on offer at the start of the month. Usually, I am a sucker for those monthly deals but I have far too many books on my shelves to read and I did say I would read samples before buying going forward. I've not had time to read samples with the move so only a few purchases and a preorder in the past couple of weeks. Go me! I might be investing in a few more books in the next couple of weeks but I am trying to be strong, it’s difficult. February is a good month for Kindle book deals.

 

What have you been reading the past couple of weeks? Fill me in on your life highlights. And anyone else hate how you discover you own so much stuff when you move house?

Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.