Looking Forward // September

02 September 2016

Looking Forward_zps3hettxt8.png
Looking Forward is a regular feature on the blog where I let you know which books I’m looking forward to in the month. They are all books I’m looking forward to being released and want to know if you’re excited about them too.

This month there are a mix of books I have and I am excited to read and books I really want to buy. Hopefully you’ll want to read some of them too.

29939780
Genre: Steampunk, Fantasy, Children’s Fiction
Release Date: 1st September 2016
25365584
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Release Date: 1st September 2016
Lily's life is in mortal peril. Her father is missing and now silver-eyed men stalk her through the shadows. What could they want from her?

With her friends - Robert, the clockmaker's son, and Malkin, her mechanical fox - Lily is plunged into a murky and menacing world. Too soon Lily realizes that those she holds dear may be the very ones to break her heart...

Murder, mayhem and mystery meet in this gripping Victorian adventure.
Everyone said the Graces were witches.


They moved through the corridors like sleek fish, ripples in their wake. Stares followed their backs and their hair.

They had friends, but they were just distractions. They were waiting for someone different.

All I had to do was show them that person was me.


Like everyone else in her town, River is obsessed with the Graces, attracted by their glamour and apparent ability to weave magic. But are they really what they seem? And are they more dangerous than they let on?

This beautifully-written thriller will grip you from its very first page.

Why Am I Excited?

This is a very different kind of book to have on my list. I mean, to be excited about a children’s book! Really? But it was the Waterstones children’s book of the month last month and I loved the look of the cover so I took a look at what it was about and I really want to read it. I mean, imagine if people disregarded Harry Potter as simply a children’s book! What an error on their part.

As such, this cute read sounds right up my street and I want to give it a try. I mean, how many steampunk children’s books are there out there? Not enough so I need to get my hands on this one.

Why Am I Excited?

Look, I already own this book so I am most definitely going to be reading it. As for why am I excited about it? Well doesn’t it just sound so cool? I do admit I was drawn in by the US cover originally and wanted to read based upon that but once I read what the book was about I knew I needed to get my hands on it. I mean the simple mention of witches is enough to get me wanting to read so really there was no doubt I was going to get my hands on this book somehow.
27969081
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Young Adult
Release Date: 6th September 2016
25716704
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Release Date: 8th September 2016
Nothing says Happy Birthday like summoning the spirits of your dead relatives.

I fall to my knees. Shattered glass, melted candles and the outline of scorched feathers are all that surround me. Every single person who was in my house – my entire family — is gone.


Alex is a bruja, the most powerful witch in a generation…and she hates magic. At her Deathday celebration, Alex performs a spell to rid herself of her power. But it backfires. Her whole family vanishes into thin air, leaving her alone with Nova, a brujo boy she can’t trust. A boy whose intentions are as dark as the strange markings on his skin.

The only way to get her family back is to travel with Nova to Los Lagos, a land in-between, as dark as Limbo and as strange as Wonderland…
Beautiful Creatures meets Daughter of Smoke and Bone with an infusion of Latin American tradition in this highly original fantasy adventure.
Elias and Laia are running for their lives.


After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.

Laia is determined to break into Kauf - the Empire's most secure and dangerous prison - to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars' survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.

But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene - Elias's former friend and the Empire's newest Blood Shrike.

Bound to Marcus's will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own - one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape... and kill them both.

Why Am I Excited?

I first heard about this book on a Smart Bitches podcast when they had Lia on from Lia’s Bookish Obsession and the way Lia raved about this book got me wanting to read it. I mean, I have been dying to get my hands on it. Especially as it takes on the whole witch angle in a new way with brujas. I don’t know much (or anything) about Latin American culture and traditions and this book, if done right, sounds like it will deliver in educating me on a few things.

Why Am I Excited?

I have been looking forward to this book ever since I finished the first book. An Ember in the Ashes was one of my favourite books of last year and I barely spoke about it but wow has the wait been long for this book.

I know this is already out in the US but this has a slightly later publishing date here in the UK and I am making grabby hands at my screen to get it.

I am a bit disappointed this time around the cover in the UK is the same in the US because I wrote off this book last year because of the US cover. That is until I saw a copy on the shelf in my local Waterstones and realised the UK edition was so much prettier. Why did they not continue with the pretty cover I ask you?
30240773
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Release Date: 22nd September 2016
28500651
Genre: Historical Romance
Release Date: 27th September 2016
Three sisters. One crown. A fight to the death.


In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn't solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it's not just a game of win or lose . . . it's life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.

The last queen standing gets the crown.
On the night of the Parkhurst ball, someone had a scandalous tryst in the library. Was it Lord Canby, with the maid, on the divan? Or Miss Fairchild, with a rake, against the wall? Perhaps the butler did it.
 
All Charlotte Highwood knows is this: it wasn’t her. But rumors to the contrary are buzzing. Unless she can discover the lovers’ true identity, she’ll be forced to marry Piers Brandon, Lord Granville—the coldest, most arrogantly handsome gentleman she’s ever had the misfortune to embrace. When it comes to emotion, the man hasn’t got a clue.
 
But as they set about finding the mystery lovers, Piers reveals a few secrets of his own. The oh-so-proper marquess can pick locks, land punches, tease with sly wit . . . and melt a woman’s knees with a single kiss. The only thing he guards more fiercely than Charlotte’s safety is the truth about his dark past.
 
Their passion is intense. The danger is real. Soon Charlotte’s feeling torn. Will she risk all to prove her innocence? Or surrender it to a man who’s sworn to never love?





Why Am I Excited?

I almost want to say I don’t know to why I’m excited but I just know I am. I think the premise of the book sounds interesting and from what I’ve heard about with this book it isn’t as simple as it appears.

I have seen a few mixed reviews on it which has dampened my excitement a touch but I still want to read either way. If a books bad it’s bad but when it’s a fight to the death between sisters for a crown I’m going to read.

Why Am I Excited?

Do I need to justify my excitement for a new Tessa Dare book? I don’t think so.

I am a huge fan of Tessa Dare, which is saying a lot since I only read a book by her last year. I am especially a fan of her Spindle Cove series (even id I haven’t caught up with it yet) so I am all over getting me a copy of this on my shelf (my digital one that is).

I love a good romance (what girl doesn’t?) and this book sounds like it delivers and I really really want to be reading it now so why do I have to wait?

I hope I haven’t missed any good releases. Which books are you looking forward to this September? Have I missed one I should absolutely be reading immediately?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.