The Winter King // A New Favourite In Fantasy Romance

10 May 2017

10485751
Published: 29th July 2014
Source: Bought
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
My Rating:
After three long years of war, starkly handsome Wynter Atrialan will have his vengeance on Summerlea's king by taking one of the man's beautiful, beloved daughters as his bride. But though peace is finally at hand, Wynter's battle with the Ice Heart, the dread power he embraced to avenge his brother's death, rages on.

Khamsin Coruscate, Princess of Summerlea and summoner of Storms, has spent her life exiled to the shadows of her father's palace. Reviled by her father, marriage to Wintercraig's icy king was supposed to be a terrible punishment, but instead offers Kham her first taste of freedom—and her first taste of overwhelming passion.

As fierce, indomitable Wynter weathers even Khamsin's wildest storms, surprising her with a tenderness she never expected, Kham wants more than Wynter's passion—she yearns for his love. But the power of the Ice Heart is growing, dangerous forces are gathering, and a devastating betrayal puts Khamsin and Wynter to the ultimate test.
This book is one of those books I’d been dying to read ever since I heard of it and then I got a really cheap used copy that was basically new… and it sat on my shelf for a few months. It’s a book which had terrified me to read and so when I finally picked it up I was scared. Scared and excited. Thankfully, my fear was unfounded because this book was totally awesome. I mean, logically, I know I should rate this book more like a 4 star or something as I'm sure I've read books which with a more in depth plot and greater world building and all that but to mark it down for something small like that is crazy because I enjoyed it so much. 

This was such an enjoyable and addictive read and now I've finished I'm ready to hit myself for having doubts. This book was exactly what I wanted and more. There are nowhere near enough fantasy romance books out there in the world and this is a prime example of doing this genre right.
This book is amazing and it rocked because Khamsin was an utterly relatable protagonist you could easily like. No, we don't all have horrible parents who make us feel unloved and a curse on the family, but we all have moments of doubt about our abilities and our self-worth and at the heart of it that is Khamsin. From the beginning, you are rooting for her to get her happy ending and for her father, the king of Summerlea, to get his comeuppance. Add in the ultra masculine and supposedly terrifying Wynter as your romantic lead and you are set for a good story.

One of the things which made this book so awesome was the romance, It is a fantasy romance after all and the romance was fantastic. Wynter and Khamsin were so good together with sparks flying all over the place. They clashed a lot and bother were too stubborn for their own good but they were also so sweet together. Khamsin definitely brought out the best in Wynter. He was meant to be this terrifying and overbearing mean conqueror of Summerlea who is forcing the conquered royalty to give up a daughter for marriage to provide an heir. But with Khamsin he is so sweet and so charming and you learn he just has this squishy centre. I just loved how those two together were just so hot! Oodles of chemistry to be had.

The great thing is there was also a good story to this book as well. The romance doesn’t overtake the fantasy, there are excellent fantasy elements to be had. Sure, I would have liked to know more of the magic and abilities in the book but that small flaw wasn’t enough to put me off. The romance was awesome sauce but there was a solid plot to go along with the romance. You had the doubt between Kham and Wyn as they were each suspicious of the other’s motives. And it could have been annoying, I hate when a couple keeps doubting each other but they had totally valid reasons, they are in a forced marriage after all. And then there was the fact that Wynter was battling a fearsome Ice Heart which was leading him to be unfeeling and could potentially unleash an apocalyptic event unless he can find a way to thaw his ice heart. And Khamsin is battling the fact her new countrymen hate her and her brother was the one who triggered a war between nations. Add in the fact she is convinced Wynter is going to kill her in a year and they both are battling some issues.

This book cannot be accused of lacking substance. It had a strong plot which may have been dragged out a little but I seriously enjoyed every page and I will be buying everything C.L. Wilson has ever written. I need more books and I need the sequel ASAP.

What was the last fantasy romance you read? Got any recommendations in the genre as this is one I truly love? And have you read this book or any others by C.L. Wilson, what did you think?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.