Sunday Summary // 8th May 2022

08 May 2022

 

Another last-minute Sunday post from me. I'm usually drafting these posts on a Friday night or on Saturday but it's been a busy week and I've not had the time or motivation at the right time so you get me half asleep on a Sunday morning instead, isn't that exciting for you?

 

As I said, it's been a bit of a busy week this week. Monday was a bank holiday so I spent the day watching TV, reading, and doing a few boring chores. Nothing exciting but stuff which needed to be done. I'm glad it was a more relaxed day as I ended up working late Tuesday for month end and was absolutely exhausted and that was really how my working week proceeded: busy. I did get some good work news, or two pieces actually. I am on contract and we were advised of our contract extensions this week and I got told that I'm being made a permanent member of staff so more job security for me! There's no difference to my contract or anything like that I just don't have to go through the regular contract renewal meetings which will be nice. I've been trying to be made permanent ever since I started and came close to getting it a couple of times but internal politics meant it didn't happen. Every single one of my managers (of which I've had many at the new place) has fought for me with HR and with senior management to have more permanent roles approved so I'm happy it all finally worked out. After getting that news we were then told the company will be offering an additional payment to all staff because of the current financial climate. Apparently, it’s because they couldn’t have accounted for the rapid rise in the cost of living in January when we get our usual incremental pay rise so they’re doing a one-off payment instead. The taxman will get most of it but it was still a wonderful piece of news and I’m already mentally spending that money.

 

Not only did I have positive work news but I also won a competition! I want to preface this with the fact I never win anything. I am just not lucky like that, I think the last time I won a book competition was about 5 years ago or something crazy so I am insanely excited. It was Nick's competition for reaching 10k and I currently have my book choices narrowed down to 14 so hopefully, in another few days, I'll actually buy some.

 

Outside of work I've also been busy seeing friends. I went to see The Lost City on Wednesday after work with a friend and it was brilliant. It was far funnier than expected. I didn't totally believe the chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum but I believed it enough for the film to work. Then Friday I went to a friend's house for drinks, takeaway, and board games. Sadly, it ended up only being a couple of us as a couple of my other friends pulled out last minute but we still had fun playing Treasure of the Pharaohs and a couple of card games. I'm glad I went as Treasure of the Pharaohs was my favourite game as a kid, I don't know anyone else who owns this board game but it was one my nan had probably owned since my uncle and dad were kids. It's stupidly fun and in surprisingly good condition. It would have been better with more of us playing, though. I won the card game we played as well. I stayed out far later than intended and was very tired yesterday.

 

Before anyone asks, I didn't spend Saturday hungover, I only got 5 hours sleep but forced myself to go shopping. I'd done a click & collect order at Waterstones for their edition of the new Holly Black book so I knew I had to go out otherwise I'd miss out on that book as it's sold out online. I actually placed the order Saturday morning when I woke up stupidly early with the sun as I knew if I did that I’d have no choice but to go out. I can never motivate myself to go to the shopping centre when I could just do to the supermarket instead so it was a form of reward for not being lazy. I’m glad I did as I got a few things I’d been meaning to buy forever for the house but more importantly, it meant I looked around a couple of home shops looking for a sofa for the conservatory. I was actually getting ready to go home when I went into Marks and Spencer to look at their home section.

I don’t know what motivated me to go in as I never usually shop in M&S but I’m so glad I did as found two sofas in there which were comfortable. I’d been drawn to a two-seater pink sofa which ended up not being that comfortable but I decided to test out the two next to it as all three were available in 7 days, insanely fast for a sofa. Those two sofas next to it were far more comfortable. I’m leaning towards one over the other but I’m awaiting fabric swatches to arrive in the post so I can see them in my conservatory lightning. I’d vowed I wouldn’t get another grey sofa since it’s rather boring but I might end up with a grey sofa and have to throw a lot of colourful stuff on it to mask that.

 

What I've Been Reading

Dirty - Kylie ScottA Good Girl's Guide to Murder - Holly JacksonGood Girl, Bad Blood - Holly JacksonAs Good As Dead - Holly Jackson

It's not been a great reading week, probably because I've been so busy. I finally DNFed Dirty this week. I accepted I wasn’t feeling it and it was time to move on. I only bought that one because I wanted to read the second book anyway so here’s hoping that one works better when I finally read it. I finished A Good Girl's Guide to Murder and really enjoyed it second time around, though. I started Good Girl, Bad Blood pretty much straight after. It definitely was a much darker second book but I was hooked but now I've been reading a couple of pages a day of As Good as Dead and I'm finding it harder to get hooked on this third book. I think it's partially because Pip is in a very different place than in the first two books and the tone is much darker. I'm hoping to spend some time reading today so I can move on to a lighter book next.

 

New To Me 

The Book of Night - Holly Black

So far, I've only bought one book and that is Book of Night by Holly Black. As I said, I saw this book available for click and collect on the Waterstones website Saturday morning and decided to treat myself, but also it worked as motivation for me to go to the shopping centre near me. It's not that far away but it's still a long bus ride and it's just easier to go to the supermarket instead so I have to use a reward system as motivation. I'm glad I did as the Waterstones edition is so pretty so hopefully, the book is good as well.

 

How has your week been? Am I the only one who has been rushed off of their feet? And do you have to reward yourself to motivate yourself to do certain things you don't want to do or are you normal?

Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.