A Wicked Kind Of Husband // An Amazing Surprise. Is There More?

21 February 2019


A Wicked Kind of Husband (Right Kind Of Love #3) – Mia VIncy
Published: 5th October 2018

Source: Kindle Unlimited, Purchased

Genre: Historical Romance

My Rating:
It was the ideal marriage of convenience…until they met


Cassandra DeWitt has seen her husband only once—on their wedding day two years earlier—and this arrangement suits her perfectly. She has no interest in the rude, badly behaved man she married only to secure her inheritance. She certainly has no interest in his ban on her going to London. Why, he’ll never even know she is there.

Until he shows up in London too, and Cassandra finds herself sharing a house with the most infuriating man in England.

Joshua DeWitt has his life exactly how he wants it. He has no need of a wife disrupting everything, especially a wife intent on reforming his behavior. He certainly has no need of a wife who is intolerably amiable, insufferably reasonable … and irresistibly kissable.

As the unlikely couple team up to battle a malicious lawsuit and launch Cassandra’s wayward sister, passion flares between them. Soon the day must come for them to part … but what if one of them wants their marriage to become real?

Hilarious, heartrending, and hot, this standalone Regency romance tells the story of a marriage of convenience between opposites.
This week I’ll probably have but one post up again but I am hoping to spend the weekend writing a couple of posts. Anyway, for this week I will slowly play review catch up on the brilliant books I read in January. One of my favourites was from a new to me author, Mia Vincy, and I wanted to tell you all about it whilst I eagerly await a new release from her.

This is another book I discovered because of Nick (how did I even find new books before her?) and I could not be happier about it because it was absolutely stunning. It’s a tragedy this is Mia Vincy’s first published book because it was unputdownable and as soon as I finished I wanted to binge read everything she had ever written. Those eagle-eyed readers may be questioning how this can be her first book when I’ve marked this as book #3 in a series, that is because this was the first one she had which was ready to be published so the series will be released out of order. I hadn’t realised that but don’t use it as an excuse to wait on her books because honestly, who doesn’t read a romance series out of order these days? It’s worth it… trust me.

When I discovered this book I'd been in the mood to read a really good historical romance as I needed a break from the sea of contemporary romances waiting to be read on my Kindle. I actually had another book all lined up and then I saw it mentioned on Twitter (by Nick obviously) and ended up borrowing this on Kindle Unlimited and I have no regrets. I would have read it in one sitting if sleep and mydie-hardd love of Luther hadn't gotten in the way. Instead, it got read in a few chunks but within two days. I stayed up far later than intended and sacrificed washing my hair for this book which is large praise indeed (and made me rejoice that dry shampoo is a thing). I adored each page and wanted to hug it close upon finishing. Hell, I went bought it after finishing my KU borrow because a book this good deserved my financial investment.

Historical romance can often feel samey (as can any romance really) but Mia Vincy successfully made this book stand out with both original and interesting characters, and amazing writing. There was excellent banter between the characters, with drama, chaos and an interesting storyline to boot. It’s not everyday you come across all of these in a single book and I’m normally happy if a book can tick three or four of these boxes so you know I was pleased when it had all of them.

Our main character, Cassandra, charmed me from the first page with her politeness which masked a sharp mind and wry remarks at her sister's drunken state. It was her determination to do right by her family and help them even when they truly didn’t seem like they deserved their help. And when I found that Cassandra was already married (in name only) I thought for sure I wouldn’t like this absent husband… I was wrong (I frequently am, even if I pretend otherwise) and Joshua charmed me as soon as he arrived on the page not recognising his own wife (not that she recognised him either). He was curt, abrupt, rude, and charming. He was filled with an energy that brought him alive and even though he was harsh in many ways the dichotomy of this character is what made me like him. I simply loved him and his kind chaotic overflowing heart. He and Cassandra were so well suited and neither even realised it. They were both so similar and so different. And together they had chemistry in buckets but their personalities together were what worked, they complemented each other which made them work as a couple.

Can I also say this book did the sex right? Because it did. There were no cringey sex scenes and I didn’t feel bored by them like they were interrupting an excellent romance as if the author was ticking the sex box to be sure it fits into the romance category. Oh no, it was done well. Like I said, this book is the whole package. It’s awesome.

I loved every page of this book and didn't want to stop reading. Cassandra and Joshua are my favourites who I hope to return to time and again. I find myself a fussy historical reader and had thought I might not enjoy it. I was wrong and should know better. It was brilliant and it's on Kindle Unlimited. Go read it. Now!

Have you read this yet? If not, why not? And how do you occupy yourself when you’re eagerly awaiting new releases from an author?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.