Monthly Wrap Up // April

05 May 2020

Instead of a recap of my month, because really? I’ve hardly left the house I’m not exactly going to have had any exciting times, even if my mom does like to text me and my brother every so often saying ‘doing anything exciting?’. Instead, let’s talk about the fun and exciting things I learnt this month because if I’ve done anything this month I’ve learnt some things.

1. I started back up my Duolingo German learning. I have a GCSE in German you would think I would have some grasp of the language, but honestly, not a clue. I wanted to try and learn French, but I only did two years of that way back when at school and I struggled with it even then. I figured it was better to learn a language I might vaguely know first, even if learning German doesn’t sound as cool. I mean, I’m not going to be able to hold a conversation any time soon but I can answer most of the questions on the app currently and my ability to understand written German is good, it’s the listening and speaking part I struggle with.

2. Learning to cook. I am a terrible cook. I don’t have the patience or the inclination to cook. I find it boring, I know some people really enjoy it but I find the timings to prepare a whole meal stressful and cannot understand why recipes don’t come with more pictures explaining what the hell they mean when they some stuff. But, I am living alone and I can’t currently pop over to my mom’s for a full roast dinner or anything so I thought I better figure out some of the basics. That, and my mom did send me over a bunch of potatoes out of a giant bag she’d ordered and I really needed to figure out how to cook potato which wasn’t just me popping it in the microwave for a jacket potato. So, for a couple of reasons, I decided to figure out how to cook. I’ve got an excellent recipe for chicken now and I tried a really good recipe for salmon with a creamy sauce. I can do awesome homemade oven chips and know how to make a decent mash. I mean, I still don’t get why people love cooking but at least I won’t starve to death while I’m stuck at home.

3. I learnt to wallow and feel sorry for yourself doesn’t really make you feel any better but watching a film or TV show that makes you cry will. I’ve been having a rough time being stuck at home. I’ve not exactly kept quiet about it, but I’ve definitely done a lot of feeling sorry for myself over the past couple of weeks because staying positive has been tough. It’s why I didn’t blog as much as I hoped and why my house got into a bit of a state for a while there. I got lazy but also felt a bit like ‘why bother?’ because no one is seeing the house anytime soon. After 2 weeks of feeling sorry for myself and feeling no better for it, the only thing I achieved was an even bigger list of chores I had to do which was not fun at all. During all this, I found a couple of really good k-dramas to watch which did help boost my mood. You’ve all heard me talk about Crash landing on You and how brilliant that was. The show had me laughing, crying and swooning all in a single episode and every episode I watched just made me feel better. That cry I had at the end of an episode? It made me feel so much better when I was doing other things. I noticed the same thing when I started watching Because This Is My First Life. I was crying at the end of an episode and had to go to bed and I found I felt so much better while I was getting ready to go to sleep. A little cry is totally a cathartic experience. Especially because all k-drama moments which have you tearing up are usually followed by a completely adorable moment which has you swooning at how perfect the main couple is together.   

On My TV

So I figured, I’ve been watching a lot of TV why not show off what I’ve been watching? I’ve already mentioned these shows on my Sunday posts but it doesn’t hurt to talk about them again. Crash Landing On You and New Amsterdam have been my ultimate faves this month. I also started watching Normal People, but I’m only a couple of episodes in so we’ll see how that goes. I’ve not read the book so it’s all new to me. And I’ve continued with my k-drama watching, now I’ve started watching Because This Is My First Life. I thought it was a little cheesy, at first, but now I’m almost finished watching and I am loving it. It might be a bit premature to feature it here when I haven’t finished it all in April but I don’t care.

April Reading

Not a bad reading month if I do say so myself. I mean, I’ve included Wild Invitation even though I’ve only read 2 of the novellas but it’s my blog I’ll do what I want. There was only one DNF this month and I read one book for KU (I started another but didn’t count it as reading because I DNF but didn’t even finish the first chapter, got to get a little further in than that before it gets to count as me reading). I didn’t manage to read any of my library borrows but I don’t feel bad about that.

April Blogging



I’m not totally back to where I was with blogging but it was my first month back and I’m happy with my posts. Need to get some ready for the next couple of weeks, though. I’ve got a little list of posts I want to write now to find the time.

And that was my month. How was your April? What were your favourite books of the past month?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.