Mean Girls Book Tag

21 August 2015

Okay, so Rachel @ Confessions of a Book Geek tagged me ages ago in this tag, and it’s taken me a couple of weeks to get writing. I knew I would have to do it because Mean Girls! I love that film! I watched it obsessively and me my friends quoted to each other always as teenagers, I mean we still know half the lines because Mean Girls quotes are relevant to everyday life.

It’s Pronounced Like “Cady”.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29329-1374517304-0

Which fictional characters’ names did you get completely wrong?

 
As a kid I totally good not get Hermione’s name right, I don’t think anyone could. I always pronounced it Her-moyne, instead of Her-my-o-knee, I just couldn’t grasp it. Honestly, though, who could pronounce it correctly until that scene in Harry Potter? It was just an awkward name, also I was like eight, what eight year old had perfect pronunciation?
 
To be honest, I don’t know if there are other characters whose names I am pronouncing incorrectly because without someone, like the author, to point out the error to me I will never realise my error. It’s normally fantasy characters I worry about pronouncing names wrong for. Mostly because authors insist on the weird and wonderful names, like Celaena and Chaol, and Feyre (yes, I am looking at you Sarah J Maas!) and so how are we mere mortals expected to get it right first time?
 

She Doesn’t Even Go Here!

125

Pick a fictional character that you would like to place in another fictional character’s world.


Wow, this is a weird question. Erm… I suppose I’d want a character to go from a completely different genre.  Maybe transport someone from a really dramatic fantasy setting to like a romance novel or vice versa? I think it would be interesting to see how these characters would cope in a different setting. So, Celaena, from Throne of Glass, being transported to a book like Confessions of a Shopaholic (for her excellent taste in clothes and ability to buy plenty) would either lead her to having a chilled out consumeristic life, her she’d kill someone simply out of boredom to create a bit of drama. It would be so fun, I’d kind of want it to be a transport the entire cast of characters to a different book type thing, though.
 

On Wednesdays, We Wear Pink.

tumblr_m94o8un2cx1r3udqqo1_500a

Repetition, repetition. Which book gave you déja vu of another book while reading it?


The book which immediately springs to mind is The Girl at Midnight and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. These books were so similar, I had a serious sense of deja vu . Thankfully, The Girl at Midnight managed to keep my attention and love by drifting from the similarities and creating quite an original story. That is the only major one I can think of. I sometimes get concerned reading a books summary that it may be similar to another, but normally they aren’t. I think it’s a good thing I can’t think of more, I know there are probably a few books I had feelings of deja vu, but none that I can immediately think of.
 

You all have got to stop calling each other sluts and whores. It just makes it okay for guys to call you sluts and whores.

9619119

Which book gave you the complete opposite of girl power feels?


Erm, Tease was definitely not one of those books that filled me with the warm and fuzzies when it came to girl power. It was not one of those books I could enjoy. In general, though, I have tended to avoid those books that give me those vibes. I do admit there is still slut shaming happening in books, especially in a few romance books I’ve read, but there is a lot of support in the books for other female characters so I can’t just classify them as a whole as not giving me a strong sense of girl power. I don’t know, I feel like this is one thing that is getting a lot better in books, no more do I want to throw a book across the room for attacking another female character for shallow reasons.
 

You Go Glen Coco!

four-for-you-glen-coco

Name a character you felt like you wanted to cheer on whilst reading.


I’m pretty sure I want to cheer on most main characters, or at least the good ones, anyway. I remember reading A Court of Thorns and Roses I was totally cheering Feyre on when it came to the challenges in the second part of the book. I mean, how could you not. And that girl needed some cheering on towards the end, it got bleak for her for a while.

Moving away from Maas and her excellent writing, though, I remember cheering on for Laia in An Ember in the Ashes, because that girl needed cheering on, I was also cheering on for Elias. Basically, that pair in general, lots of cheering because that book just got me, you know? I do find it’s way easier to cheer on characters in fantasy books, it seems.
 

Get in Loser, We’re Going Shopping!

get-in-loser-were-going-shopping-gif

How long do you typically spend at a book shop?


Either loads of time or none at all. I have to be in the right frame of mind to shop. I am far more likely to be in that mood when it comes to books, but even so, if I’m not fancying being around people I will be in and out of a shop in the blink of an eye. Normally I can spend a good half an hour browsing the shelves as I remember books and authors who I want to see if I can find. It tends to involve a lot of googling when I’m in a book store, mostly because I can never remember the author of that book I want to read so I need the surname to find the book on the shelves. I also tend to brose goodreads checking ratings for books I’ve not heard of but am being enticed by the cover to buy.
 

It’s Not My Fault You’re Like In Love With Me Or Something!

tumblr_m6g6fuCP4s1rv82rjo1_500

Which character would have to get out a restraining order on you, if they were real?


A restraining order sounds really extreme, I’d like my love for a character would never reach those kinds of extremes… probably. I mean, I would probably just be that strange girl who sat quietly in a corner and watched people from a distance. I would be completely willing to drool over any and all Jill Shalvis’s men from her books, from a completely respectable distance. And don’t get me started on my long list of book boyfriends, like all of Colleen Hoover’s characters would have me following them like a lost puppy. In general I would be far too intimidated by the characters I love in books to ever speak to them. I would just happily watch from a distance and possibly get arrested for stalking, but restraining orders would be totally unnecessary, right?
 

I Can’t Help It That I’m Popular.

rs_500x227-131003121719-mean-girls-21

Which over-hyped book were you cautious about reading?


I was cautious about A Darker Shade of Magic because I had only seen good things and hype kills books. Also, that was one of my most anticipated reads for this year, so my own hype was at risk of ruining it. It didn’t ruin it, but it was a book I needed to read in my own time, and I am so glad I did! I cannot wait for the next book.
 
I also put off reading Morgan Matson’s Since You've Been Gone for a full year because the hype scared me off. I regret waiting on that one, it was such an amazing book that I was a bit sad a little thing like hype could drive me away from reading.
 

She’s A Life Ruiner. She Ruins Peoples’ Lives.

tumblr_m3578fgLmI1qe2x96o1_500

We all love Regina George. Name a villain you just love to hate.


Any well written villain is one I love to hate. I like villains, although I am still a sucker for a reformed bad guy, but that could just be me. But I don’t know if I can think of one I loved to hate, I suppose I loved the ‘bad guys’ in Laini Taylor’s Daughter of Smoke and Bone series because there was not a single bad guy, instead the villains were on both sides of the war, which was way more interesting to read about than just a single big bad. It was especially interesting as the bad guys, the villains, were on both sides which made it far more fun to read.
 

I’m Not Like A Regular Mom, I’m A Cool Mom.

Cool_Mom_GIF

Your favourite fictional parents.


I adored Lola’s dads from Lola and the Boy Next Door, they were hilarious. I adored them as soon as they were introduced with their fun banter with their daughter and their teasing and I loved them later on when they were concerned and exasperated with her and vowed she would never have a boy in her room. They felt like real parents acting as parents would, making you want to die of embarrassment from their sheer panic about you growing up. I was also a massive fan of Mia’s parents in If I Stay, which is just heart-breaking isn’t it? In the flashbacks her parents seemed like the coolest parents, even if Mia herself did not always feel she fit with her family, they were still the coolest parents, even she could recognise that.
 

That Is So Fetch!

rs_480x270-131003121721-sofetch.jpg

Which book or series would you love to catch on?


Throne of Glass for sure, I will read book three and move on to book four if it kills me. I love that series so no idea why I haven’t caught up on it yet. I would also love to read the whole Princess Diaries series because I never got past books six and it is a damn shame I stopped reading! I know it inevitably wasn’t as good later one, but I don’t care, I want to read it god dammit! And finally, I would love to catch up on the Stephanie Plum series, I may be about ten books behind at a minimum, but for nostalgia purposes alone it is required.
 

How Do I Even Begin To Explain Regina George?

tumblr_n4lutszvDQ1sco42wo7_500

Describe your ideal character to read about.


I want a character with strong opinions, but not unwilling to listen to others. Sarcastic characters are a soft spot for me, as our roguish characters, I don’t know why, but that is not a must. I don’t know what it is, but I love reading about characters who are thieves or rebels. I don’t know, I tend to like strong characters and those that grow! A good case of character development is my jam, but not as much intelligent characters with a strong sarcastic streak are. It’s like they speak my language, they appeal to me. To be honest, I am not the fussiest with a characters personality or whatever, as long as they feel real and I care about their story.
 

I Just Have A Lot Of Feelings.

mean-girls-I-just-have-a-lot-of-feelings-gifs

What do you do when a book gives you a bad case of ‘the feels’?


What can you do when this happens? I prefer to be in private, because I hate crying in front of people, and generally just let my emotions flow free. Case in point, I was reading All The Bright Places blubbering like a baby, there were sniffles and silent tears because I was reading in the living room. My family my know I get emotional over books, that does not mean I enjoy crying in front of them, they still find it a little weird. I ended up surrounded by balled up tissues and generally looking a state. It’s worse in public places, I have to restrain my book feelings. I may want to grin like a silly idiot, or laugh out loud, but you can’t do that in public, and crying in public is just asking for trouble. Basically, I struggle with my book feels, their is no easy solution to them, in private I can embrace them, and I can at home, but it’s the being in public I have issues with.
 

Nice Wig Janice, What’s It Made Of? – Your Mom’s Chest Hair!

93-chest-hair1 

Which character’s one liners would you love to claim for your own?


Well, damn, now I wish I could remember more one liners. I know there are a few good lines in Harry Potter, I think one of my favourite lines in there is ‘I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick’, becuase it is the most perfect sentence for the moment. I know there are more but I can’t think of them!

And I wish I had the perfect banter down you see in numerous romance books, like the hilarious, culturally relevant one liners you see in Jennifer L Armentrout’s books. She knows how to write cool characters who understand me on an internet geek level, if I was as quick-witted as some of her characters I would find myself hilarious. I suppose that could get boring for some of my friends, but oh well.
 

Boo, You Whore.

1d5jqRF

Name a time a characters decision has made you roll your eyes.


Erm, well, I was reading this one book Roomies and it was fun it was two brothers and this girl dithering between the two and she ended up with the wrong brother (in my opinion) and it just made me be like ‘seriously?’ when I was reading. And I always roll my eyes in romance novels when characters make decisions for the other lead ‘for their own good’ because that is always a load of bollocks if I’ve ever heard any. It’s never for the good of anyone, it’s just because some characters have yet to grow a pair when it comes to relationships. I have read so many romances where one of the characters has that dumb thought cross their mind, it doesn’t get any less stupid the more it happens.

***

And there you have it, I am all tagged out after this one, but yay for a Mean Girls rewatch. I know I’m meant to tag others into doing this, and if you’re reading are totally tempted go ahead and just say I tagged you. I almost always avoid tagging folk simply because I take ages about completing a tag, so what hope is there for others? Anyway, I feel you may know me and my reading tastes and opinions a bit better. Also, if you can’t tell, this took me days to write, these questions were hard!

Does anyone else find they can talk about books and all things bookish until they are posed with a tag question and then your brain clams up? That’s what I experienced!
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.