Looking Forward: January

02 January 2016

Looking Forward_zps3hettxt8.png
Looking Forward is a regular feature on the blog where I let you know which books I’m looking forward to in the month. I won’t buy all the books featured (especially with my current 5 to 1 buying ban) but they are all books I’m looking forward to being released and want to know if you’re excited about them too. Also, all dates are the released I can find (unless they’re not available) for the UK, because that’s where I live and I like to try and keep to when I can get the books.

Welcome to the first Looking Forward of 2016 and let me say, 2016 is a year filled with a lot of exciting new releases, both debuts, releases from some favourite authors and let’d not forget the next books in some of our favourite series. There is plenty to be excited for in the coming year.

20983362_thumb2_thumb
Passenger – Alexandra Bracken

23495112_thumb2_thumb
Release Date: 5th January 2016
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Release Date: 5th January 2016
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
passage, n.
i. A brief section of music composed of a series of notes and flourishes.
ii. A journey by water; a voyage.
iii. The transition from one place to another, across space and time.

In one devastating night, violin prodigy Etta Spencer loses everything she knows and loves. Thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda, Etta is certain of only one thing: she has traveled not just miles but years from home. And she’s inherited a legacy she knows nothing about from a family whose existence she’s never heard of. Until now.

Nicholas Carter is content with his life at sea, free from the Ironwoods—a powerful family in the colonies—and the servitude he’s known at their hands. But with the arrival of an unusual passenger on his ship comes the insistent pull of the past that he can’t escape and the family that won’t let him go so easily. Now the Ironwoods are searching for a stolen object of untold value, one they believe only Etta, Nicholas’ passenger, can find. In order to protect her, he must ensure she brings it back to them— whether she wants to or not.

Together, Etta and Nicholas embark on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind by the traveler who will do anything to keep the object out of the Ironwoods’ grasp. But as they get closer to the truth of their search, and the deadly game the Ironwoods are play­ing, treacherous forces threaten to sep­arate Etta not only from Nicholas but from her path home . . . forever
Sixteen-year-old Elli was a small child when the Elders of Kupari chose her to succeed the Valtia, the queen who wields infinitely powerful ice and fire magic. Since then, Elli has lived in the temple, surrounded by luxury and tutored by magical priests, as she prepares for the day when the Valtia perishes and the magic finds a new home in her. Elli is destined to be the most powerful Valtia to ever rule.

But when the queen dies defending the kingdom from invading warriors, the magic doesn’t enter Elli. It’s nowhere to be found.

Disgraced, Elli flees to the outlands, the home of banished criminals—some who would love to see the temple burn with all its priests inside. As she finds her footing in this new world, Elli uncovers devastating new information about the Kupari magic, those who wield it, and the prophecy that foretold her destiny. Torn between the love she has for her people and her growing loyalty to the banished, Elli struggles to understand the true role she was meant to play. But as war looms, she must align with the right side—before the kingdom and its magic are completely destroyed.

Why Am I Excited?

 

Are you series? Have you seen that cover? Have you read that book summary? How are you not excited? That is the question you should be asking yourselves really.

I know part of my excitement for this book has been created by other bloggers and their excitement, but I like to think a lot of it is my own. And the cover. I have to give the cover some of the credit because ships in bottles are so cool, so a city in a bottle is even cooler!

Why Am I Excited?


I have read a few Sarah Fine books now and I enjoy her writing. She hasn’t yet achieved favourite author status (sorry, but you have the potential to get there!) but she writes so well that once I find that book I love I can see her achieving such an accolade.

I am also a sucker for fantasy. I’ve read a couple of other series of hers in different genres and they were good, if she can get this fantasy series right I will fall completely in love with her writing, I’m sure.

27252717_thumb1_thumb
25812667_thumb1_thumb
Release Date: 11th January 2016
Genre: New Adult, Sports Romance
Release Date: 12th January 2016
Genre: Sci-Fi, Dystopia, Thriller
He knows how to score, on and off the ice


Allie Hayes is in crisis mode. With graduation looming, she still doesn’t have the first clue about what she's going to do after college. To make matters worse, she’s nursing a broken heart thanks to the end of her longtime relationship. Wild rebound sex is definitely not the solution to her problems, but gorgeous hockey star Dean Di-Laurentis is impossible to resist. Just once, though, because even if her future is uncertain, it sure as heck won’t include the king of one-night stands.

It’ll take more than flashy moves to win her over

Dean always gets what he wants. Girls, grades, girls, recognition,girls…he’s a ladies man, all right, and he’s yet to meet a woman who’s immune to his charms. Until Allie. For one night, the feisty blonde rocked his entire world—and now she wants to befriends? Nope. It’s not over until he says it’s over. Dean is in full-on pursuit, but when life-rocking changes strike, he starts to wonder if maybe it’s time to stop focusing on scoring…and shoot for love.
The explosive
conclusion to the bestselling Brilliance Trilogy
For thirty years humanity struggled to cope with the brilliants, the 1 percent of people born with remarkable gifts. For thirty years we tried to avoid a devastating civil war.

We failed.

The White House is a smoking ruin. Madison Square Garden is an internment camp. In Wyoming, an armed militia of thousands marches toward a final, apocalyptic battle.

Nick Cooper has spent his life fighting for his children and his country. Now, as the world staggers on the edge of ruin, he must risk everything he loves to face his oldest enemy—a brilliant terrorist so driven by his ideals that he will sacrifice humanity’s future to achieve them.

From “one of our best storytellers” (Michael Connelly) comes the blistering conclusion to the acclaimed series that is a “forget-to-pick-up-milk, forget-to-water-the-plants, forget-to-eat total immersion experience” (Gillian Flynn).

Why Am I Excited?


I am a fan of New Adult. I know there are a lot of complaints about this genre, but I can mostly ignore the flaws. I like what you get, and I like sports romance (even though I don’t like sports) and the main reason for my excitement? I like Elle Kennedy and this Off-Campus series. I liked the first two books and do not doubt this will be the same.

Why Am I Excited?



I loved the first two books to this series (my reviews are here) and I have been waiting for the next book for what feels like ages. This isn’t like most of the books I read in anyway shape or form and I think that’s why I enjoyed the series quite so much.

I am not a big sci-fi reader, I tend to prefer it in film form, and I don’t read that many thrillers anymore because I don’t always like the writing, but this book series was perfect and I now feel a strong urge to reread this entire series for this release.
25787863_thumb1_thumb
26802894_thumb1_thumb
Release Date: 14th January 2016 (UK)
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Release Date: 14th January 2016 (UK)
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
How is it that you suddenly notice a person? How is it that one day Digby was my best friend's admittedly cute twin brother, and then the next he stole air, gave jitters, twisted my insides up?


Lucille has bigger problems than falling for her best friend's unavailable brother. Her mom has gone, leaving her to look after her sister, Wren. With bills mounting up and appearances to keep, Lucille is raging against her life but holding it together - just.

A stunning debut to devour in one sitting, Laure captures completely the agony and ecstasy of first love.
On a continent ruled by three empires, some are born with a “witchery”, a magical skill that sets them apart from others.

In the Witchlands, there are almost as many types of magic as there are ways to get in trouble—as two desperate young women know all too well.

Safiya is a Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lie. It’s a powerful magic that many would kill to have on their side, especially amongst the nobility to which Safi was born. So Safi must keep her gift hidden, lest she be used as a pawn in the struggle between empires.

Iseult, a Threadwitch, can see the invisible ties that bind and entangle the lives around her—but she cannot see the bonds that touch her own heart. Her unlikely friendship with Safi has taken her from life as an outcast into one of reckless adventure, where she is a cool, wary balance to Safi’s hotheaded impulsiveness.

Safi and Iseult just want to be free to live their own lives, but war is coming to the Witchlands. With the help of the cunning Prince Merik (a Windwitch and ship’s captain) and the hindrance of a Bloodwitch bent on revenge, the friends must fight emperors, princes, and mercenaries alike, who will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.

Why Am I Excited?

 

I acually hadn’t heard of this book until a little postcard for the book came in my Illumicrate box… I then decided I had to Google and find out more about this book and I’ve been excited ever since.

I love surprise bookish finds like that, they are the most exciting because you honestly aren’t expecting them. This book sounds like an intriguing and interesting YA read and is definitely the kind of book I like to pick up so I cannot wait to start reading… you know… once I allow myself to buy the book.

Why Am I Excited?

 

I mean, who isn’t excited for this book? I feel like there has been about 6 months build up for it. That is how long I have been awaiting this release. It’s now finally here and I’m almost a little bit scared.

So many good things have been said about this book and I don’t if I can deal with it not meeting expectations. I’ve read Susan’s other series (which I’ve still not finished… oops?) and I know she id more than capable of writing a good story, so let’s hope this is just as good as I expect.


27074515_thumb1_thumb
22449806_thumb1_thumb
Release Date: 21st January 2016
Genre: Historical Fiction, Young Adult, Fantasy
Release Date: 26th January 2016
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
London, April 1812. Eighteen-year-old Lady Helen Wrexhall is on the eve of her debut presentation to the Queen. Her life should be about gowns and dancing, and securing a suitable marriage. Instead, when one of her family's housemaids goes missing, Lady Helen is drawn to the shadows of Regency London.

There, she finds William, the Earl of Carlston. He has noticed the disappearance, too, and is one of the few who can stop the perpetrators: a cabal of powerful demons that has infiltrated every level of society. But Lady Helen’s curiosity is the last thing Carlston wants—especially when he sees the searching intelligence behind her fluttering fan. Should Helen trust a man whose reputation is almost as black as his lingering eyes? And will her headstrong sense of justice lead them both into a death trap?

In The Dark Days Club, internationally best-selling author Alison Goodman introduces readers to a heroine who is just as remarkable as Eona—and yet again reinvents an establlished literary genre, making it her own.
In the tradition of Sarah Dessen, this powerful debut novel is a compelling portrait of a young girl coping with her mother’s cancer as she figures out how to learn from—and fix—her past.

Few things come as naturally to Harper as epic mistakes. In the past year she was kicked off the swim team, earned a reputation as Carson High’s easiest hook-up, and officially became the black sheep of her family. But her worst mistake was destroying her relationship with her best friend, Declan.

Now, after two semesters of silence, Declan is home from boarding school for the summer. Everything about him is different—he’s taller, stronger…more handsome. Harper has changed, too, especially in the wake of her mom’s cancer diagnosis.

While Declan wants nothing to do with Harper, he’s still Declan, her Declan, and the only person she wants to talk to about what’s really going on. But he’s also the one person she’s lost the right to seek comfort from.

As their mutual friends and shared histories draw them together again, Harper and Declan must decide which parts of their past are still salvageable, and which parts they’ll have to let go of once and for all.

In this honest and affecting tale of friendship and first love, Emily Martin brings to vivid life the trials and struggles of high school and the ability to learn from past mistakes over the course of one steamy North Carolina summer.

Why Am I Excited?


I find out about this book on LoveReading. I just liked the cover and it sounded like a cool book. I expected it to have already been released so you can imagine my frustration in discovering it last month and deciding it was the book I wanted to read in that moment only to discover it wasn’t released yet.

I will definitely be keeping this book high on my to-buy list because it’s set in Regency London with a woman who is avoiding getting married.

What’s not to love?

Why Am I Excited?


This book is another YA read (I don’t know why I always know more about this genre than any other) and it sounds great. I love books that involve friends being reunited (especially with the potential for romance) and I really like a book that seems like it has a bit of story to it.

I think this may be the story I was hoping to get in 99 Days (except the story seems quite different, no girl dating 2 brothers) but it seems like it will have the kind of story I was expecting… if that makes sense. I don’t know where my mental links to books comes from so don’t ask.

I know there are plenty of new releases missing from this list, but these are the ones I am really excited for for various reasons. This is not a comprehensive new release list (only the most dedicated of bloggers has time to compile one of those) it’s just highlighting my most anticipated. Please, feel free to complain at me for missing your most anticipated January release off of the list.

What books are you most excited for this January and why? Tell me all about them below because I can never find enough new books to read.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.