A Year In Review: 2016

02 January 2017

A Year In Review
Every year I struggle with doing a survey for the year. I love the one with Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner brings out. And the Statistics Survey which Brittany at The Book Addicts Guide brings out is also fabulous. I always find they don’t work for me, though.

Instead, I’ve decided to do a few topics which cover my year in books highlighting the highs and lows. I’ll just essentially be picking and choosing from what they’ve done and a couple of other ideas from other people’s blogs to cover my whole year, not just books.

The Figures & Statistics



Books Read: 215
Number of Re-Reads: 13
Pages Read: 76392
Number of Series Read: 96
Number of Standalones: 82
Longest Book: Daughter of the Forest
(675 Pages)
19001176
Shortest Book: Kindred Spirits
(62 Pages)
4[3]

Preferred Format: ebook
Most Read Author: Kelley Armstrong
Most Popular Genre: Contemporary Romance
Least Popular Genre: Horror

Highs and Lows


Favourite books read in 2016?
2575054631825868918252019202893100820299082888260591182587713519001176
I had a lot of favourites. I couldn’t narrow it down to just one but instead there were many. Each were highly rated by myself and I will (hopefully) still love this time next year.

Favourite Covers?
25201920227749888202334664218667779
These are just the books with the covers I most love now. I did have a much longer list… but they got cut out. I didn’t want to overwhelm you with too many covers. These are ones I would happily frame on my wall (or leave a copy artfully out for all to see).

Series I Would Most Recommend?
121167166
Just two series. I was going to have a much longer list of series I wanted to recommend but I decided to stick with Wolf by Wolf, which was a fantastic alternate history book. And the Cainsville series by Kelley Armstrong. This is the series which truly pulled me into her writing. I mean, I loved City of the Lost but as there is only one book out in that series right now I chose not to include it.

Book(s) I Can’t Believe I Waited Until 2016 To Pick It Up?
258771351900117626059118225769970
There were a lot of books I was shocked I waited so long to read but these were my main ones. I waited a whole year to read Illuminae. I spent far too long putting off buying Daughter of the Forest even though I knew I would love it. I avoided buying The Thinking Woman’s Guide To Real Magic a couple of years ago and it was only when I saw it at the library I got around to reading it. The Song Of Achilles as so many good reviews and was so well recommended and still I didn’t read it. And, finally, After The Last Dance. I have been a fan of Sarra Manning for a very long time and I remember this book being released and I wasn’t hesitant to buy as I wasn’t sure I’d like something which was so different to her usual writing. Turns out I was worried for nothing. I adored this book and I wish I’d read it sooner.

Biggest Surprise?
29908288279821153
These Shallow Graves was a book I was hesitant to read. I’d seen it reviewed in a few places and still didn’t think I’d like it. I ended up buying it when I saw it for sale at my local supermarket and I have no regrets. I loved this book. As for Ghost Gifts, it’s a book I got it as one of my Kindle First books. I didn’t think I would like it but figured I’d gotten it free I might as well read it. I enjoyed it a lot. It was interesting and flawed and I did enjoy it.

Biggest Disappointment?
740624622334664226166883
There were a lot of disappointments this year but these were the big ones. The Necklace of the Gods (Eona) was a real let down when I read and loved the first book. It just ruined everything which was built up in the first and I will never forgive it for ruining a book I thought was going to be a favourite. The Lies of Locke Lamora was a heart-breaking disappointment. People said such good things so when I read it and just couldn’t get into it and connect with it I was genuinely upset. It was like a betrayal. The Gracekeepers was a book I had added to my TBR pile simply for the gorgeous cover. I had wanted it so much so I was thrilled to get it from the library, sadly, it was extremely disappointing. I get why people liked it… but I didn’t. As for The Three Body Problem, well, I had a lot of issues with it and why the balls was it so filled with science and terrible characters. Why do people like this book?

Book I Wish I’d Spoken About More?
29908288252019202277498829415186
There were a lot of books I should have raved about but never did. These are the ones I am most upset I overlooked reviewing and flailing about. These Shallow Graves was a book I simply adored and I don’t know why I didn’t review it. The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet was a fantastic read, as you can tell from every blog review ever. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender was a really beautiful read. It was one of those books where not a whole lot happens but the way it is written is so utterly enchanting that you can’t help but loving it. I wish more people had spoken about it. I wish I had spoken about it more. Beautiful Wreck was a really strange romance which is extremely reminiscent of Outlander yet isn’t I was completely absorbed by this strange romance and the beautiful way it was written.

Book I’d Like To Most Recommend?
294151862576997082586891822816079


New Favourite Author?

Kelley Armstrong. That was easy for me to decide. I discovered her this year and have been trying to slowly read all of her books. I adored City of the Lost and I adored her Cainsville series and let’s not forget her Nadia Stafford series which I fell in love with and seems to have had the least love from others. I just really love her writing and plan to (eventually) read everything she’s written.

Looking Forward


Which Books Are You Looking Forward to Most in 2017?
51GVK1H reL25701463297489253009546430631124306538532488318929102896295236253031270030312860320787873279928031145133320756623270342928062190
This isn’t even an exhaustive list. But these are the ones which I found most easily.

Non Bookish Fun


Favourite Films?
download (1)suicide-squad-movie-poster-firstthe-book-of-life-posterfantastic_beasts_and_where_to_find_them_ver4_xxlgdownload
I’m certain I’ve seen more great films than these this year, but these are the ones which sprang to mind as favourites. I loved Deadpool when it came out, it was absolutely hilarious. You forget Ryan Reynolds does comedy well until he does a role like this. I also really enjoyed Suicide Squad with it’s bad guys and humour. I mean, I liked Batman vs Superman, though, so really I just don’t agree with what the critics have to say. The Book of Life is a film I wanted to watch when it came out way back when and never got around to, turns out I should have because I loved it with the weird animation and general awesomeness. The last two feel like cheating as they are so new but Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Rogue One were utterly amazing films. I loved them so much, they are the kind of films I would happily rewatch the same day, that is how much I loved them.
Before you go accusing me of liking all films I see at the cinema I will say I went to see Passengers and that film was a bit cheesy so not all films are insta-love for me.

Favourite TV Shows?
strangerthingsposterpitch_foxexpansephoto745955
I really wish I’d kept better track of my TV viewing this year because I know I watched more shows than this but these are the ones I remember loving this year. I think everyone loved Stranger Things but I still felt the need to include it, it was original and interesting and I watched it in a day. I know I mentioned my love for Pitch on one of my Sunday Summary posts but I will mention it again. I loved that show so much and I don’t even like baseball, but it made me like baseball. I would be willing to watch a game because of that show. Then there is The Expanse which I watched on Netflix and loved. Who knew I liked sci-fi stuff so much? This is definitely the show which reminded me I needed to read some sci-fi so I am glad I watched it. And finally, Age of Youth, it’s a Korean drama and the only really good one I’ve watched this year. It was just so nice and not to crazy over dramatic and I loved it and it’s soundtrack.

Favourite Songs?
Closer – The Chainsmokers ft Halsey
Here – Alessia Cara
Cleopatra – The Lumineers
Gravel To Tempo - Hayley Kiyoko
Way Down We Go - Kaleo
First - Cold War Kids

There was a lot more to my year, but these are the highlights, the things which spring to mind when I think about it. What were your highlights of 2016? Did you have a song you couldn’t playing or a film you couldn’t stop talking about? What books did you read that you loved and did you miss any that you absolutely need to read?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.