Bite Sized Books #2: Faking It

22 May 2015

 photo bite sized books_zpsqsbhuspk.png
This week I will be looking at books where people are faking it… relationships that is. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before, but I love a good fake relationship book. It is a soft spot that probably comes from reading too much fanfiction, but I simply do not care. This is going to be relaying my recent fake relationship reads with a sneaky few thoughts on each.

18660447The Fill-In Boyfriend – Kasie West
My Rating:
When Gia Montgomery's boyfriend, Bradley, dumps her in the parking lot of her high school prom, she has to think fast. After all, she'd been telling her friends about him for months now. This was supposed to be the night she proved he existed. So when she sees a cute guy waiting to pick up his sister, she enlists his help. The task is simple: be her fill-in boyfriend— two hours, zero commitment, a few white lies. After that, she can win back the real Bradley.

The problem is that days after prom, it's not the real Bradley she's thinking about, but the stand-in. The one whose name she doesn't even know. But tracking him down doesn't mean they're done faking a relationship. Gia owes him a favour and his sister intends to see that he collects: his ex-girlfriend's graduation party — three hours, zero commitment, a few white lies.

Just when Gia begins to wonder if she could turn her fake boyfriend into a real one, Bradley comes waltzing back into her life, exposing her lie, and threatening to destroy her friendships and her new-found relationship.
I debated doing a full review on this book, because it is one I’ve been looking forward to for a while. I saw the blurb and knew it was a book destined for me to read. It did not disappoint, it had drama and silly misunderstandings, but it also showed you not to judge others too quickly, and to not hold yourself back with your friends because they are the people you feel most comfortable with.

I’ve never read a Kasie West book before, I have heard of her, but never committed to reading them. I’m glad this is the first one a picked up, it was a perfect easy read. The characters were fun, Gia and Hayden’s relationship was great. There was miscommunication, lying and a lack of trust, but it was fun. I do admit Gia’s friends weren’t the best. I kept thinking the friendship would in some way redeems itself because both sides were at fault, but it never did! I’m glad Gia managed to realise where she wanted to be and what she was comfortable with, but I do kind of wish her friends were there for her more. I also hated her family, like hers was the worst of the distant uncaring variety. I did find it difficult to understand that family dynamic, but it was kind of understandable, I guess. West explained things well with that one.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants a fun and easy read with some high school drama mixed in.
20524291
My Rating:
Ever since high school, Kayla has been crazy for gorgeous football player Talon. But before she could muster the courage to tell him, he became a hot item with her beautiful BFF, Reagan. The only person who knows Kayla’s secret is Wesley, Talon’s best bud—and he’s got it bad for Reagan. Now they’re all in college together, hanging out 24/7. For Kayla, seeing the two lovebirds together is absolutely unbearable. So Kayla and Wesley hatch a plot to drive them apart before Talon has a chance to give Reagan the Christmas gift she’s been waiting for.

Soon enough, the once happy couple is fighting. Reagan suddenly can’t get enough of Wesley’s goofy sense of humor, and Talon seems to be paying more attention to Kayla than a guy who’s “only a friend” ever should. But just when everything seems to be falling into place, Kayla and Wesley accidentally spend a night together and discover a hitch in their plan they never considered: that switching partners may not lead to a perfect ending after all.
This one wasn’t so much a fake relationship as much as relationship sabotage. But there was some fake relationship type things happening, it was all very confusing. It was a bit of a love square happening in this, which was a bit confusing. But it was a love square that should never have happened, and there was some deception going on on all sides to try and break people and get people together. And arguments were staged, and drama was created, with dates happening that should never have occurred. It all is just too confusing to properly explain. It was a fun read, though.

I loved Kayla and Wesley were sort of forced together unwillingly because of their love for the others best friends, who also happened to be dating. Their scheming and sabotage attempts were fun. I did get a bit fed up of Kayla justifying her actions all the time, it was obvious it was a terrible idea what she was doing, but since I didn’t pick this book up for it’s serious look at friendships and morality, I don’t particularly care. And I love that although a lot of the things that happened were obvious, some of the twists and turns really snuck up on you. It dealt with a very overdone storyline and helped to bring a bit of originality in there. Also, the voice of Kayla was great, some may view it as a bit too colloquial, but it worked for me in this story.
24920901
The Deal – Elle Kennedy
My Rating:
She’s about to make a deal with the college bad boy...

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she’s carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush’s attention, she’ll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice…even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.
...and it’s going to be oh so good.

All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he’s worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he’s all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn’t take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn’t going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him.
This book was less about a fake relationship as about fake dating. Either way it fits with my theme and I really enjoyed it. I am a big fan of the New Adult genre, I’m not going to lie. I know the stories are too often predictable and formulaic, but I get a decent read from a lot of these books. The Deal was definitely one of the better New Adult reads and I understand why it’s received such positive reviews. I liked the character of Hannah, she did have a history, but rather than making shrink back she stands out and refuses to take things lying down. It was nice to see girl willing to stand up for herself. And her relationship with Garrett was fantastic.

I loved the beginning where they were dating to make a boy notice her. I liked the part of their relationship where they ventured into more series territory, with a few misunderstandings along the way because neither side just talked! And I liked it once they’d settled into their relationship. Everything about this book was well done. The main characters were great, but everyone else felt real too. And I liked that. Also, the male perspective in this book was not romanticised, it felt like a more genuine perspective where he was a bit more crass and blunt about things and his approach was stupid at times, but so are men in general, they do not do things the obvious way or an easy way, but it showed willing. I liked that about this book, it felt a bit more genuine.

And there we go, these are three more substantial reviews this time, but I hope you enjoyed them. As always, I would love to hear some of your thoughts on these books. If you have any recommendations for a good fake relationship book please give it to me because there is no such thing as having too many books to get reading.
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.