My Sister’s Grave // A Surprising Read I’d Expected to DNF

15 November 2019

Published: 1st November 2014
Source: Kindle First
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
My Rating:
Tracy Crosswhite has spent twenty years questioning the facts surrounding her sister Sarah’s disappearance and the murder trial that followed. She doesn’t believe that Edmund House—a convicted rapist and the man condemned for Sarah’s murder—is the guilty party. Motivated by the opportunity to obtain real justice, Tracy became a homicide detective with the Seattle PD and dedicated her life to tracking down killers.

When Sarah’s remains are finally discovered near their hometown in the northern Cascade mountains of Washington State, Tracy is determined to get the answers she’s been seeking. As she searches for the real killer, she unearths dark, long-kept secrets that will forever change her relationship to her past—and open the door to deadly danger.

I love when a book comes out of nowhere and surprises me by being an enjoyable read. I do feel wrong calling a mystery about a woman's murdered sister an enjoyable read but it was. I was hooked from the beginning and was dying to unravel the mystery of whodunit. Turns out I would never have guessed but that's what makes it so fun!

I got this book years ago as a Kindle First read and this freebie sat unread ever since. I actually began reading the first chapter thinking I'd DNF within a few minutes.

I was wrong.

What I should have learnt by now is that I am often wrong and should never trust my instincts on a book. But I might learn. One day. I'm glad I gave this book a shot though

Tracey has never let the disappearance of her sister go. She knows she is probably dead but as the body has never been found and the trial to convict a man of the murder never sat right with her when the evidence was so circumstantial. When she gets the call to say a body has been found she knows that is her sister and she knows she can finally get the closure she needs by proving who actually did it.

Yes, this book probably does follow the usual plot of other mysteries. The MC is a woman on a mission. You know she'll be the one seeing the truth and older folks will be out to stop her. And there's a minor and cute romance. But I didn't care.

I admit the big reveal at the end threw me a little. It was unexpected (at least to me) but I didn't totally believe it and did kind of wish there was a different answer to it all. But the reveal was believable and I was surprised and I think that's kind of the most important thing with a mystery. I want to know who did it in the end. I don't want to have figured it out halfway through cos it's just not as fun. You don't get the same kind tension to figure it all out then.

I enjoyed it and was so pleasantly surprised. I can only hope I can stumble across more winners like this as I clear up my kindle shelves. I'll definitely continue the series.

What was the last book you assumed you wouldn’t like and ended up really enjoying?
Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.