Top Ten Books That Should Be In Your Beach Bag And Will Be In Mine This Summer

03 June 2014

Another rushed job this week. Well, not rushed, I’ve been thinking about this on and off all week, I just haven’t actually written anything out.

For The Broke and The Bookish’s theme this week it is all about what your summer beach reads are and what you recommend to others. Now, I am not a huge beach lover, I mean I do get excited to go to the seaside, but I live in the Midlands (which for anyone not from the UK, that means I live several hours from the beach and get excited by it, which I’m sure many of you understand). Essentially, I am not a big fan of sand in your shoes, and since I am rather a pale I struggle being out in the sun for more than a few minutes, so beaches are not my usual destination of choice. Also, I am not going on a beach holiday this year, so there will be no beach reading for me. As such, I am adapting this to be my summer reading list and my recommended summer reads, since that is what a beach is.

Now, I am going to clarify for you all how I came to make my decisions. In my mind, a summer/beach read has to be a light easy book you can flick in and out of. It needs to be easy reading, nothing too intense or over emotional, definitely not too over emotional, nothing worse than being the weirdo crying for no apparent reason. It has to have some sort of romance. Romance is a must, I don’t know why, but it is. It normally needs to be a standalone novel, because taking a series on holiday adds extra weight (if you don’t have an ereader) and because you don’t want to have to commit yourself to a series when away. The series rule is not a mega issue though. My list this week is going to be split into two, my recommended summer reads for stuff I’ve already read, and then my own personal list of what I plan to read this summer, so five each.

My recommended Summer reading list for others:

ttt recommend summer
The Selection series is an excellent choice for a summer read. I know I said series were a bad choice, but this a a three book trilogy, it is not exactly like carting around Game of Thrones now is it? It’s a light easy read, sure there is mild drama cracking off in the books (I don’t know about the third, not read that yet) there are cute friendships, there is romance. There is even a love triangle, but I like to ignore that because it is my least favourite part about the books. Essentially, the trilogy is a nice non-taxing read which has an easy to follow storyline. What more do you want when you’re lazing on the beach, or hiding in the shade with factor 50 suncream?

Open Road Summer – Emery Lord This is another excellent summer book, I mean summer is in the title, come on. It’s about two best friends and there is a romance involve.d All pluses. It’s not too emotional, it’s heart-warming though. It isn’t light and fluffy, there are some important stuff to think about, such as what makes your friends, what makes family, and all that jazz. It’s not too heavy with issues though, it’s realistic, but not so real you’re like dude if I wanted to read real life I’d read the paper type thing. After all, it’s about a girl whose best friend is a country music star, not screaming real life is it?

Biggest Flirts – Jennifer Echols  This book was awesome. Such an easy read. It has romance, it has cute boys, it has good friends and it has a cool family. It is the perfect easy read because nothing major happens. It is just a story, a romance and friends all set at the beginning of the school year. A great book I really enjoyed.

Any Sarah Dessen book ever, because they are all nice reads, with some issues in there, a bit of drama, but they all have a lovely romance, good friendships and generally some kind of decent family relationship. So, any and everyone of her books are perfect beach reading, although a couple of them may be a bit heavier than what you would normally want as a summer read.

The Summer I Became A Nerd – Leah Rae Miller This book I read last summer. It is a very fluffy easy read. It is predictable, but that’s why I loved it. It was a surprising read, I only got it because it was cheap on amazon and I figured why not. I strongly recommend it for everyone, it is a fun contemporary read and it’s short. I read it in a day. Perfect summer reading out in the sun.

What do I plan to read this summer?

tt me summer
Since You’ve Been Gone – Morgan Matson I have been meaning to read this book for a while, but I just haven’t got around to it. I mean, in general, I plan to read all her books, but this is the first one I have properly heard of, so I intend to read it first. The rest will follow.

The Museum of Intangible Things – Wendy Wunder I have had this on my TBR list for so long I can’t remember what it’s about. But I figure a book about friends is a perfect summer read, so we shall see.

Nowhere But Here – Renee Carlino I loved Carlino’s previous book Sweet Thing, it was very much a heavy romance, but it was awesome. I am hoping for the same thing with this book. I love indulging in a romance anytime, but especially in summer, because summer is the time for love in my mind.

The Break-Up Artist – Philip Siegel I read a book similar to this last year and enjoyed it. I was intrigued to read this one because the other book I read the protagonist did not intentionally break others up, it was a case of it being an offer she couldn’t refuse. This book intrigues me anyway, and it looks like a promising summer read. Or a really terrible one.

Broke Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend – Katie Finn I’ve heard good things. It sounds like a light fluffy summer read which has humour, secrets, romance. It has everything you want, the kind of book where you have to suspend belief a bit to enjoy, something you want for a summer read because you will be deluding yourself that summer will last forever and you won't have to return to work/school.

Post Signature
© A Fool's Ingenuity. Design by FCD.